Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Disclose grading of confidential reports during promotion: CIC

Disclose grading of confidential reports during promotion: CIC

Reported by PTI in moneylive.com on Oct 8, 2012
    Disclose grading of confidential reports during promotion: CIC - Moneylife

Relative grading of the ACRs no longer remains personal information and should be disclosed as it forms the very basis for the promotion of an individual officer, ruled the CIC under the RTI Act

New Delhi: The relative grading of officers' annual confidential reports (ACRs) during their promotion is not personal information and should be made public, the Central Information Commission has held, reports PTI.

Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda Mishra said although the annual confidential reports or ACRs of an officer are personal information which should be disclosed only to him or her, its relative grading during promotion process should be made public.

"Since the relative grading of the ACRs is the basis for recommending a certain officer for promotion, this needs to be disclosed just as the caste certificate of a public servant needs to be disclosed since that serves as the basis for his appointment to the government service," Mishra said.

The case relates to an RTI application filed by Madhu Khare of Bhopal who sought to know from the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) the grading chart of select list of 2001-02 for promotion from Madhya Pradesh Administrative Service to Indian Administrative Services (IAS).

The UPSC objected to disclosure of the chart claiming that it contained the grading based on the ACRs and to that extent, the disclosure of this information would amount to the disclosure of personal information of other officers.

"In the present case, the appellant had not sought the copies of the ACRs. She has only wanted to know the manner in which the Departmental Promotion Committee (DPC) evaluated and assessed the individual ACRs of the officers and arrived at the grading in each case," Mishra said.

He said mere disclosure of the final relative grading will not help.

"Without the entire chart showing the complete assessment of every officer, it will not be clear how the officers have been assessed in a related matrix," he said.

Mishra said it is without doubt that the relative grading of the ACRs is an important input in the final decision of the DPC in recommending some officers for promotion while leaving out others.

"As held by us in several similar cases in the past, in any examination or evaluation process, certain details about the successful or recommended candidates must be disclosed in order to ensure transparency in the selection process," the CIC said.

He said therefor the relative grading of the ACRs "no longer remains personal information" and should be disclosed as it forms the very basis for the promotion of an individual officer.

"In the light of the above, we are of the view that the desired information, namely, the complete chart of the grading of the ACRs of the officers as assessed and evaluated by the DPC and recommended for promotion must be disclosed," the Chief Information Commissioner said.

Likes jps50 liked this post

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    297.4 KB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.04%
    Monthly Activity
    4.7%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: Disclose grading of confidential reports during promotion: CIC

The full order of the CIC is attached to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Likes vsprajan liked this post

@cjkarira

Name:
    sUNIL pATIL
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    The full order of the CIC is attached to this post.
    Karira, Thank You. God bless you.
    This is another illustrious judgement after"Devdutta'by justice Markandeya Katju. The principle of Natural Justice which was upheld by the Devdutta, was strangled by this archaic practice of not disclosing the Matrix of comparative assessment of ACRs.

ACRs is a strange instrument. It not only reflects what you did, it also reflects what all you went through. Its a very subjective instrument and can be harming the upright officers. The Chief Engineer Pandhare who was instrumental in resignation of a DY CM in Maharashtra, is now being called as a man who has lost his mental balance. Imagine what could be his fate, had it not been for the RTI ( other RTI disclosures support his findings/allegations).

More transperancy is the only answer.

Karira, I came to this website, and in the beginning i posed a wrong question. You sort of reprimanded me. Now you turn out to be my saviour by giving me the exact judgement that i dreamt of.Thanks again and god bless.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    297.4 KB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.04%
    Monthly Activity
    4.7%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by patilsuni View Post
    Karira, I came to this website, and in the beginning i posed a wrong question. You sort of reprimanded me. Now you turn out to be my saviour by giving me the exact judgement that i dreamt of.Thanks again and god bless.
    I am just training you up to become "tougher" !
    @cjkarira

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription