Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: You can now see HSC, SSC answersheets

You may also refer

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...-cic-sics.html

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...er-sheets.html

It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    samir k
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    1.95%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank You Atul.

We can approach High court if PIO does not disclose information and SCIS does not impose penalty as prescribed in RTI Act even after passing the order to disclose the information. RTI Act also prescribe compensation.

RTI Act is very clear about penalising PIO's. Act does not give any rights or discretion to CIC or IC for waiver of penalty.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.62%
    Monthly Activity
    1576.26%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As reported by Ashutosh Shukla in dnaindia.com on 05 October 2009:
    To show or not to show is SSC board's dilemma - dnaindia.com

To show or not to show is SSC board's dilemma

Mumbai: Failing at the SSC exams was just the beginning of 17-year-old Hemant Kantaria's ordeal. Expecting 70% marks, Hemant and his family were shocked when the results showed him to have failed in four subjects.

Hemant's world was turned upside down. Instead of seeking admission in college, he began doing the rounds of the office of the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education to find out if he had really failed to clear the exams. Hemant had appeared as a private student.

The distraught family applied for verification. But the results were the same as before. The family then demanded to go through the answer sheets under the Right to Information (RTI) Act to find out where Hemant had erred. But two contradictory orders on the issue have added to Hemant's woes.

While a three-year-old order of the state's chief information commissioner says answer sheets cannot be given to students for reasons of logistics, a recent one passed by Pune's information commissioner says it is the right of students to know where they have erred.
    The state board has challenged the latter order and filed a petition in the Bombay high court. Meanwhile, Kantaria's appeal with the state's chief information commissioner is also expected to come up for hearing this week.

"There is no ground like 'logistical problem' in the RTI Act to deny information," said Hemant's uncle Sameer Kanparia. "In verification they just tally the marks again. My nephew has reappeared for the exams, but the period has been traumatic for him as he has lost confidence. He doesn't know if what he has done is right or wrong."

Principals and parents support the Kantarias. "It is a student's right to know where he has gone wrong. It may create administrative difficulties but that cannot stop one from his rights," said Campion School principal Paul Machado.

"How can one rectify his mistake when he feels what he did was right and he is not shown where he has gone wrong?" said Arundhati Chauhan of the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) United Forum. Jayant Jain of the Forum for Fairness in Education said, "It is a public document and you cannot deny that. The whole career of a student is dependent on that paper. He will be discouraged. The Union HRD minister is saying there will be no exams. But how will they justify grades without showing the answer sheets?"

The board on its part believes its examiners rarely go wrong. "It is very rare for an examiner to go wrong. And a moderator's decision cannot be challenged," said Shridhar Salunkhe, who chairs the Mumbai divisional board. "It is up to the state government to decide whether to show the answer sheets or give photocopies to the students. A policy should be out after the assembly elections."

At present, the board in Andhra Pradesh gives photocopies of the answer sheets to students while that in Gujarat has a policy of showing the sheets to them.
    Follow me on Twitter @cjkarira

Name:
    samir k
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    1.95%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

"At present, the board in Andhra Pradesh gives photocopies of the answer sheets to students while that in Gujarat has a policy of showing the sheets to them."

Even Mumbai, Pune and Shivaji university shows answer sheets. None of these board and universities has mentioned any LOGISTICAL DIFFICULTIES.

But Maharashtra SCIC believes that if allowed under RTI, it will create LOGISTICAL DIFFICULTIES to SSC Board and he want to deny the information on this illegal ground called LOGISTICAL DIFFICULTIES. He has already done that in April 2006. He want to do it again.

So he has assume the role of Parliament, creating his own baseless and illegal exemption on top of exemption available under sec 8(1) and 9 without application of mind.

Samir Kanparia

Name:
    samir k
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    1.95%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello Everybody,

I have been waiting for order from Joshi. It appears that he is not willing to pass order. I am left with no other options but to take legal action against him in High court by filling writ.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ganpat1956; 11-05-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: moderated

Name:
    samir k
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    1.95%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Severe Violation of RTI Act by Maharashtra SCIC Suresh Josh

Dear Friends,

I would like to bring to your notice severe violations of RTI Act by Maharashtra SCIC Suresh Joshi.

We do hear about Mr. Suresh Joshi handling of appeals and complaints. We all are familiar with his poor understanding of RTI Act.

Recently Mr. Joshi sent me letter (copy attached) for not able to pass an order against my complaint that I filled after PIO of SSC Board refused disclosure if Answer sheet.

It was shocking to read the reply from Mr Joshi. In his letter, he created two fresh discretionary exemptions for denial of information on top of exemptions available under sec 8(1) and 9, though PIO did not mention any of these for denial of information. Mr Joshi advocated them for PIO.

By creating new exemptions, he has assumed the role of Indian Parliament. It appears that he has more wisdom than collective wisdom of entire Parliament. It is clear from the letter that Mr. Joshi does not have basic knowledge of provisions of RTI Act. Mr. Joshi have failed to understand RTI Act that Act does not provide discretionary powers to Information Commissioners to invent their own exemptions. Information can be denied only on the grounds mentioned in sec 8(1) and 9.

These two exemptions are brainchild of Mr Joshi. None of these exemption find its place in Sec 8(1) or sec. 9 in RTI Act.

Secondly, he has also violated sec 19(5) which says that onus to justify denial of information is on PIO. And not on Information commissioners. PIO never mentioned this grounds while refusing the Information sought, It was Mr. Joshi who is justifying denial of information which violates sec. 19(5) of RTI Act. Does Mr. Joshi has unlimited , feelings/emotions based, discretionary powers to deny information or he is supposed to work under the legal framework of RTI Act? I am failed to understand.

Mr Joshi Joshi has violated sec 8(1) , 9 and 19(5) of RTI Act.

Please have look at copy my complaints that I made to Governor of Maharashtra against this violation and related documents.

Please suggest me legal action that can be initiated against this violation by Mr. Joshi. I am willing to go to any length to procure justice.

Thank You,

Samir Kanparia
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.62%
    Monthly Activity
    1576.26%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Samir,

You are absolutely right that those orders of the Supreme Court and Bombay High Court have nothing to do with your seeking information.

IC has clearly gone out of the ambit of the record on hand and the RTI Act.

However, writing to the Governor will not bring you any relief.

The only solution is a Writ in the High Court.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.62%
    Monthly Activity
    1576.26%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As reported by Ranjan Das Gupta in dnaindia.com on 19 March 2010:
    Pune RTI chief spent a year on answer-sheet issue - dnaindia.com

Pune RTI chief spent a year on answer-sheet issue

Pune: Pune Region RTI commissioner Vijay Kuvalekar had taken nearly a year to study the case before ruling that students appearing for the SSC and HSC exams conducted by Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education be provided with photocopies of the evaluated answer sheets.
    <style> .art_img_class {width:200px;background:#f0f0f0;margin-top:1em;font-size:0.7em;display:none;} </style> <script> art_imgs = 0; cur_art_img = 1; function prev(){ for (i=1;i<=art_imgs;i++){ document.getElementById("art_img_"+i).style.display = "none"; } if(cur_art_img==1){ cur_art_img = art_imgs; }else{ cur_art_img -= 1; } document.getElementById("art_img_"+cur_art_img).style.display = "block"; } function next(){ for (i=1;i<=art_imgs;i++){ document.getElementById("art_img_"+i).style.display = "none"; } if(cur_art_img==art_imgs){ cur_art_img = 1; }else{ cur_art_img += 1; } document.getElementById("art_img_"+cur_art_img).style.display = "block"; } </script> <table style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <!-- lhs-col --> Kuvalekar, however, refused to comment on the board’s decision to legally challenge his ruling. “I have carried out my duty to the best of my ability,” he said.

An official at the Regional Information Office, however, said Kuvalekar had studied data about students appearing for SSC and HSC exams and the pass and fail percentages. Information was gathered from all divisional offices of the board to see if students were unhappy with the evaluation. Citing section 8 of the Right to Information Act, 2005, Kuvalekar had said answer sheets could not be treated as confidential documents.

Kuvalekar’s study came after a Std XII student Abhijeet Joshi, unhappy with his marks, asked authorities to show him photocopies of his answer sheets. When he was refused, Joshi filed an plea with the Pune bench of the State Information Commission.