0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.14%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: hAS RTI BEEN A SUCCESS?????

No!!!!!! It became a new tool to victimize innocent citizens.

Cic is giving shelter to cpio's of public authorities, who are willfully denying the information and also passing incorrect orders.

Name:
    S KUMAR
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.14%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Most of the infomation commissioners are not providing justice to the information seeking citizen , instead of providng justice they are suppressing and threatning the information seekers , They are became fencing [ protectors ]for bureucrats and officials of government , the information commissioners are became dictators , They are recomonding several amendments with the instigation of corrupt bureaurcrats , Information commissioners are not doing justice to their jobs , I have filed about more than 300 applicaitons seeking information from various organisations such as DG & IG , Police commisioner , Deputy commissioners , Lokayuktha , Metro railway corporation , KIADB , BBMP , BDA , BMRDA , KHB , KSRTC , Village panchayath , Tahsildars , The response is very poor , To get an information they are dragging the application more than 1 Year , None of the offices are not interested to implemented the section 4and 5 of the act promptly

Thank you

Bachao india from clutches of corruption

JAI HIND

RUDRAPPA , B.E.LLB. [ MA JOURNALISM ]
    SOCIAL REFORMER & RTI ACTIVIST
    Last edited by rudrappa; 12-21-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: addition

Name:
    Mumbai Civic
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.14%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is too early to judge. It is also too difficult to judge. And the act itself is but a primitive document and its implementation has been hurried and lopsided and done with the aim of appeasing a vocal minority.
    What can be judged very easily are:
    1. Has a profession emerged out of it?
    2. Has the organized segment (read "NGOs") been able to benefit from it?
    3. Have aggreived individuals been educated about the Act?
    4. Has there been a backlash from the bureaucracy/aristocracy?

Regards
    -- पूराब्यौरा

Then God said, "Let there be light"... but we said, no, we want first the RTI! Then we will light up our own lives, and those of our fellow beings. But God said, "No, I can't. I am not a fool to open my books to you. Go away!"

Name:
    Rajkumar yadav
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.14%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear info warriors

At least we have the some way to write the application to seek info ,no doubt the info commissioners are political appointees in most of the cases , as the general public will use this act more and more govt has to buckle under the public opinion to appoint good info commissioners. Lets have hope someday this act will clear the corruption from the govt depts.

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    459.5 KB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.93%
    Monthly Activity
    11.02%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

4 year is too small a period to judge such a revolutionary piece of legislation. We should also ask, what WE the citizens [specially educated] have done to popularise and make it effective. Let us not expect any politician or babu to hand over rights to us on silver plate. Every important achievement has to be earned.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    M. Faiyazuddin
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    57.08%
    Monthly Activity
    0.19%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

We should hope against hope.
    "It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right. "
    Winston Churchil
    APPEAL: Use RTI to get Information from Private/Public Unaided Schools to stop violation of norms in Education. Private Schools are under the Purview of RTI--CIC.
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/154-how-get-information-private-entity-under-rti.html

Name:
    V NATARAJAN
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.14%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AS a retired Govt servant of over 36 years of experience in one of the largest departments of the country ( more tha 18000 employees), I have my own reservations and comments to express. Perhaps this may not be the forum for doing so in DETAIL. (my posts elsewhere can be seen).

In the beginning iteself, I express that it may be PrEMATURE to measure the SUCCESS OF RTI from available feed-backs.

Following points are EMERGING harsh truths- which cd also be seen as the WEAKNESSES in the system delaying its success:

1.Information furnished by CPIOs are only those which "exist" in some form for which he/she has access. In a PA, for eg in a Ministry, there could be several desks dealing with several aspects and no CPIO would be able to give a "total" package of information for a "real issue based RTI application".

2.Often the CPIO simply forwards the information given by some other source-or many times such sources are made to answer you directly -thus extending the path of reply to an elongated route and after such experiences, one may lose hope of arriving at the correct information for which the RTI application was made.

3.What segment of "Information" suits may perhaps be parted with by the CPIO/PA readily and it may not be necessary to furnish other information which is exactly what you may require. IN OTHER WORDS TRANSPARENCY OR ACCESS TO ALL INFORMATION IS SOMEHOW DENIED or circumvented.

4.There are a few Sections of the Act under which umbrage is taken to deny the information asked for - and Citizens may not realise the ground truth behind such departures fully.

5.Often Appellate Authority being the superior authority in the same PA set-up, appeals are invariably opposed and disposed of. CPIO gets the protection, right or wrong.

6.Not many can take the Information dispute up to the CIC. No ordinary citizen has the means or sustenance.

I can add further. But then let me not PILE UP as all these observations may look like criticisms ( all the above are based on my/ my group's experiences)

POSITIVE SIDE:

Normally your ordinary appeals/ enquiries to any PA may not find the light of the day.

(My 13 appeals/ similarly several of my friends' appeals on a very genuine Sr Citizen issue did not yield even a single reply! Then few of us resorted to RTI system- and got some responses but a good wealth of experience on "success" aspect!)

For example reminders/ enquiries on the "STATUS" aspects of your applications say for Passport/ IT refund/ DL/ Voter's ID/ Grievance appeals to some PAs/ Licences etc may not get any responses.

BY PAYING RS 10/ AND spending ANOTHER RS 40 FOR OTHER EXPENSES- I CAN GET A REPLY ON STATUS AND IF LUCKY THE PROCESS MAY GET EXPEDITED SO THAT YOUR CASE IS ATTENDED TO.

Perhaps this is an "indirect way of satisfying" ourselves that one had not bribed to expedite the matter- and CORRUPTION is avoided?

UNLESS THE PAs MAKE A SINCERE/ HONEST/ TRANSPARENT/HARD-CORE PRACTICE OF THE RTI MECHANISM, ORDINARY CITIZENS MAY NOT EXPERIENCE THE SUCCESS OF IT.

RTI ACT 2005 has to penetrate larger issues covering impressive segments of the society and not sub-average day-to-day aspirations of average citizens on individual basis. IT MAY BRING IN SOME AWARENESS and if we think that is the end of success, then it is fine!

(I can not deem RTI is a great success because I got my IT Refund thru one RTI Application in the first attempt -at lightning speed!- solitary exceptions can not be generalised to measure success- I may be excused if I am wrong)
    Last edited by vnatarajan; 01-18-2010 at 11:30 AM.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription