Lv. Percent
    93%
    Monthly Activity
    0.15%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Can a Assistant PIO send back the RTI request letter to information seeker

When I sent a letter to Highways RTI PIO, he/she had sent back the request letter back to me in original along with a reply stating that I need to contact the other department. As per my knowledge on this RTI Act 2005, they have to send the request letter by themselves to the appropriate office and they can mark a copy to me. Am I Correct ?

Whether I can appeal on this ?

Regards
    Mohan

Name:
    Laxmi Narayan Khandual
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23%
    Monthly Activity
    0.15%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: Can a Assistant PIO send back the RTI request letter to information seeker

Hello Mogan,
    Welcome to RTI India Portal.
    Yes, u r correct.The PIO should have transfered ur application to the concerned Pubilc Authourity under Sec 6(3) of the Act.If u feel that the PIO has intentionally returned ur application knowing the address of the correct PA where the information is actually held, than ur 1st appeal would be effective.
    But in my opinion you go for a fresh RTI application to the correct PIO to get ur information quickly.

Name:
    Dinesh
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    91.31%
    Monthly Activity
    0.15%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: Can a Assistant PIO send back the RTI request letter to information seeker

Please file a first appeal stating that PIO has not complied to section 6(3) of the RTI Act. Retain the copy of the envelope and produce the same at the time of hearing.

Send the copy of first appeal to PIO too. I am sure he will wake up and take immediate action.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    297.4 KB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    57.67%
    Monthly Activity
    42.34%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Also check the dates...
    When did the PIO reply ?
    Under Sec 6(3) he is supposed to transfer the RTI Application within 5 days of receiving it. Did he do that ? If not, mention it as a ground for first appeal.

By the way, Sec 6(3) is only applicable if the RTI application is transferred from one Public Authority (PA) to another.

It is not applicable if the other PIO is in the same public authority. In that case, it is the duty of the first (recipient) PIO to collect the information from the other PIO and provide to you or ask the other PIO to reply to you directly under his own signature.

Was the PA different in your case (since you mention the word "department").
    @cjkarira

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription