Monthly Activity
    0.16%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Discharge from Indian Air force

Sir,
    I am a combatant member of the Indian Air Force since 19 Dec 2001 and my trade is Medical Asst. I applied for discharge from service on compassionate grounds in Nov 2008 stating the condition at home. At domestic front, my mother is staying with my mentally retarded brother aged 19 yrs(now) and my mother also got affected with rheumatic Arthritis and pyloric ulcer, thyroid related problems etc. She even had periods of depression. At times my brother gets violent and is not controlled by my mother alone and there is nobody else to help her. These were my grounds for discharge on compassionate grounds. I attached all the medical (Military hospital) and other documents as required. It reached till Air HQs(VB) and was turned down stating "Manning Constrain in Trades".

I applied for reconsideration for discharge in Oct 2009 stating the same reasons ( I took so much of time as I was told at unit level that I cant apply again before completion of 01 year.} and got a reply in Jan 2010 stating the same reason.

Then i asked for an interview with Chief of Air Staff, which was denied at command level. As per the channel, I was interviewed by SAASO of my command, who asked me to send more past medical documents to support my case. He asked me to either FAX it to his number or send it to him. As a ray of hope I went to my hometown and sent all the required documents to him. As I was on annual leave, I contacted my Unit and was told that my application for interview with CAS has been declined and they got a letter from command mentioning to warn me for sending the documents directly to command without following the proper channel.

Further for your information, on both the occasions when my application was not approved stating 'Manning Constrain in Trades", I was working in our Unit Officer's Mess as Accountant. Therefore I am not able to digest this reason.
    Since i dont have any hope from the authorities I didn't return to my unit and sent a letter informing them my requirement at home, failing in which might endanger my mother's and brother's life.

At this juncture of my life I dont know what to do, so I request an expert opinion on my case.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.49%
    Monthly Activity
    0.32%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: Discharge from Indian Air force

You should rejoin your unit forthwith failing which you will be apprehended by civil police. Absenting without leave is an offence.

Your present domenstic condition is not a new factor. When you joined the IAF during 2001 you knew that after some time your mother is likely to get old and need someone to look after her. Still you joined the IAF.

You know that the IAF had incurred heavy expenditure in getting you trained as a Medical Assistant. You know that trained personnal are in great demand in civil. The civil will pay much higher to such trained personnel. The reason advanced by you for your premature discharge is not convincing enough. If soldiers like you start asking for discharge after getting trained well at public expense, IAF will find difficult to function.

You have no choice but to continue in service failing which you will seal your future. As directed by IAF you can try your luck after one year. The IAF is likely to help you when you try after one year as the IAF won't like to keep unwilling soldiers in their fold for long

Name:
    jayachandran
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Monthly Activity
    0.16%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you sir for your reply.
    As you have mentioned, when I joined service the condition was not that bad and my age was just 17 1/2 yrs. I never had in my wildest of dreams that I will leave service in between. But the condition at my home is far worse than you are imagining, moreover I dont want any benefits from service. Moreover I am seeing people who just give silly reasons and get discharge due to their contacts at top. According to you if I return back to my Unit, I am not in a condition where I can concentrate on my work. since the past 03 years I had to take leave several times due to exigencies at home, making an impact on my financial condition. I had considered all other alternatives before seeking discharge, this the only remedy to my problems.
    You said, Govt spends to train me, then why I am been made to work as an Accountant that too at a Non public place( Officer's Mess}.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.49%
    Monthly Activity
    0.32%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Jayan,
    This is an RTI forum meant for discussion on matters connected with Right to Information only. As a special case I had just butt in. Please refrain from seeking further clarification in this forum. You are not likely to get further replies.
    The IAF is not required to explain or justify to you the basis or reason for employing each of its members at particular employment nor their reason for considering certain other cases for discharge ignoring your plea. In Armed Forces there is a provision for seeking your Commanding Officer's or immediate Formation Commander's interview where you could project such complaint or even file a Statutory or Non-statutory Complaint in such cases. The Air Force Chief is too busy a person. You could seek interview of lower formation commanders who may not be that busy. Please confine to your probem only. The problem explained by you is too common in the Armed Forces. Surprisingly such problems are possed generallly from soldiers of Techinical Arms and Services like your where such trained man-power is in great demand in civil. Such request for premature discharge come only after 6 to 7 years service after they become a good professional and in demand in civil. Such demand stops when they attain 12 to 14 years of service as they wait for 15 years to earn pension and the demand come after 15 years. Were you also not planning for a good job in a private Hospital near your home ? Otherwise how are you planning your livelihood ? Without a reasonably good income you won't be able to look after your mother.

Such being a routine practice normally the higher authorities do not give much importance to such pleas. You do not have much choices other than following

1. Join the unit forthwith failing which the Police will apprehend you and take you to your unit hand-cuffed. Your unit will punish you. You are likely to get rigerous imprisonment of few days. If you voluntary join the unit you are likely to get lesser punishment The choice is yours
    2. Apply for discharge again after one year as advised by your HQ
    3. Apply for a posting to a unit near your home (I do not know whether it is possible in IAF)
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 06-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription