0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.23%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Eligiblity of PIO

I am working as a Lecturer(on three year contract basis) in an engg. institute established by state govt. I was given the additional charge of PIO although i have joined this institute just 7 months ago. There are other faculty members who are much senior than me in this institute. It is also mentioned here that apart from the regular principal, a deputy registrar is also working here. I have no office in the institute and no access to PIO records. Was it jusitified that a junior staff member was given this additional charge of PIO even when senior and regular faculty members are already working in the institute?

Name:
    rajendra bakre
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.80 MB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.5%
    Monthly Activity
    0.23%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: Eligiblity of PIO

It is not at all justified. It is as simple as that.

BUT......

You are a public servant. You have to accept whatever work allotted to you so long as it is not against any rule or law.

The RTI Act does not say anything as to who should be made PIO. Hence you cannot refuse to be a PIO.

I would advice you carefully go through the RTI Act available on this portal especially sec 5(4) and 5(5).

Sec 5(4) : The Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, may seek the assistance of any other officer as he or she considers it necessary for the proper discharge of his or her duties.

Sec 5(5) : Any officer, whose assistance has been sought under sub-section (4), shall render all assistance to the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, seeking his or her assistance and for the purposes of any contravention of the provisions of this Act, such other officer shall be treated as a Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be.

Name:
    Dinesh
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.05%
    Monthly Activity
    0.23%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There is only one Public Information Officer for Armed Forces i.e Army,Navy and Air Force. Do you think the PIO sitting at Head Quarter has all the information of all units under Army, Navy or Air Force. His duty is to simply transfer the application to the concerned officer under section 5(4) and when the reply is received, he forwarded to the concerned to appellant.

Now a days many department have RTI Cell for the entire department. For example the Delhi Jal Board has such cell. Here too the PIO is using section 5(4) same as above.

Govt of Haryana has designated the Sarpaches as PIO though most of them are non matriculate and some of them are even illiterate (Angutha Chhap) !!

Name:
    Davinder
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.23%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the reply

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription