Lv. Percent
    94.28%
    Monthly Activity
    0.32%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up How to write an RTI Application?

I was wondering if somebody tell me how to write an RTI application from begining?What things one should remember to follow, what are the pitfalls? Is there any thing which should not be written in the application?

Likes tanud liked this post

Name:
    Ganpat
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.96%
    Monthly Activity
    0.46%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Crusader, it is very thoughtful of you to have initiated a thread on this topic. I am sure this thread will help all the new comers to grasp this concept easily. Kushalji has already provided a downloadable version of the RTI Application format. Apart from that I would like to emphasise on a few points that come to my mind.

The application should invariably bear the title " Application for Information under RTI Act 2005". It should also contain a declaration to the effect that the applicant is a citizen of India. A DD/IPO for Rs. 10/= towards the application money or proof of remittance of the said amount, if it is remitted by way of cash, should also be enclosed. Beginners should always remember to keep extar copies of the application and proof of remittance for their own records.

I have also come across a few seasoned veterans using certain disclaimers/declarations in their application, as a measure of abundant precaution against any possible denial of information by PIOs. A few of them are furnished here.

" Kindly note that I am not seeking personal information which would compromise the privacy of any individual OR which would affect your competitive position".

"To the best of my knowledge the information sought does not fall within the restrictions contained in Section 8 and 9 of the Act and it pertains to your office."

If you are applying to a state government PIO, and if you do not understand the local language (believe me; it has happened to one of our members--Mr. Edmar), it will be ideal to specify in your application that you want the information in English. Otherwise chances are that you will end up with a reply in a local language and you won't even know if what you got was information or denial, unless somebody helps you out with translation.

These are just a few thoughts on the formalities of the RTI application. The major work however will be in the framing of appropriate questions, which depend more on the subject matter of the information being sought.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.00 MB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.85%
    Monthly Activity
    2.68%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How to framer application under Right to Information

Ok! a very pertinent question.
    • Pre-requisites:
      • Information about Public Information officer, name, address e.t.c. Locate central Government PIO's here! In case you have problems locating your PIO/APIO you can address your RTI application to the PIO C/o Head of Department and send it to the concerned public authority with the requisite application fee. The Head of Department will have to forward your application to the concerned PIO.
      • Mode of Payment available with CPIO, the fees, and Contact person to receive the application. (In most of the cases the Assistant Chief Public Information officer, ACPIO or directly the CPIO).
    Every state has a different mode of payment for application fee. Generally, you can deposit your application fee via:
    In person by paying cash [remember to take your receipt]
    • By Post through:
    • Demand Draft
    • Indian Postal Order
    • Money orders (only in some states)
      • Affixing Court fee Stamp (only in some states)<o></o>
        Banker’s cheque
        Some state governments have prescribed some head of account. You are required to deposit fee in that account. For that, you can either go to any branch of SBI and deposit cash in that account and attach deposit receipt with your RTI application. Or you can also send a postal order or a DD drawn in favour of that account along with your RTI application. Please see respective state rules for complete details
    • Application:
    (Guidelines) While filing an RTI application, the framing of the questions is very important. A slight misunderstanding or vague questions gives the PIO a chance to reject your application. Follow these guidelines:
    • Use a white sheet of paper to write an application. There is no need to using Note-sheet, or the Court stamp paper. You can use your letter pad for asking for information.
    • The matter can be hand written, or typed. There is no compulsion of typing the content.
    • Make sure the application is eligible and easy to read.
    • There is no restriction on number of pages for asking information.
    • There are also no restriction on number of questions that can be asked in one application. However, it is generally advisable to ask restrict one application with limited set of questions and generally related ones.
    • Be very specific & ask to the point questions.Don't ask vague questions.
    • Ask as many short questions as you like ,but don't ask for voluminous information.
    • Ask information always by writing your name and signature, and not by your post, as only citizen have the right to information.
    • Do not ask a question containing 'WHY'! For example, questions like why you failed to pass the bill, is liable to be rejected for not covering under RTI Act.
    • If the information sought is voluminous, it is better to ask it in the form of CD to save on cost.
    • Remember that, you do not need to write the reason for asking the information.
    See this very good thread regarding framing of RTI application, it's format: click here!

Download the sample RTI application here from our sister resource site, http://www.rtiindia.info
    • Read these informative posts:
    Most of all read our FAQ segment.
    • If you have problem in drafting RTI application or you have queries regarding any aspect of Right to Information, browse around the RTI India forum to get more information, or if you have specific question, post it at relevant forum.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.00 MB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.85%
    Monthly Activity
    2.68%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If there is anything which is left here, kindly let me know so that I correct it. The suggestions given by Ganpat and Aashna over my blog post has been incorporated.

Once this is final, we would make it an FAQ entry, and also make it in PDF format for download from our sister site http://www.rtiindia.info

Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.28%
    Monthly Activity
    0.32%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think this is very comprehensive information. Thank you for sharing Kushal. I think this can also be put up in FAQ segment.

And thank you Ganpat regarding practical insight to this.

Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.12%
    Monthly Activity
    0.19%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this is a great information. Thank you for the posts dear members.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.00 MB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.85%
    Monthly Activity
    2.68%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Based upon suggestion of muralivmohan posted at my blog, I think he has put up very valid point left out by me, and hence I had edited and included that.
    Thank You very must muralivmohan for the suggestion.
    Here was the suggestion posted:
    http://www.rtiindia.org/blogs/kushal...-under-rti-36/

regards,

Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.99%
    Monthly Activity
    0.19%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved