Thread: Are not Co operative banks covered under RTI

Are not Co operative banks covered under RTI

I have come across divergent inputs w.r.t. to inclusion of the Cooperative banks under RTI act. The inputs have been typically like ...

input 1 : Co-op Banks not covered by RTI Act, says RBI
    It is not mandatory for co-op banks to give information as not under the perview of the RTI Act
    Apnaloan.com Research Bureau
    10 Aug 2007
    Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has clarified that the co-operative banks are not covered by the Right to Information (RTI) Act 2005.

Input 2 :
    No immunity from RTI Act, CIC tells co-op bank

Punjab Chief Information Commissioner R I Singh on Friday again made it explicitly clear to the Punjab State Co-operative Agriculture Development Bank Ltd that it was covered under the RTI Act. The bank had been denying information on the ground that it is not a public authority.

What is the current status ?
    I am looking for procuring info w.r.t my housing society from Abhyudhaya Bank wherein the society holds an account.
    Information requirement is : whether they have procure the AGM /committee resolution from the client when a new committee was formed and who all were the signatories. I wanted copies of these documents , since I am a member of the society .

Hence my specific question here is whether Co-operative banks covered under RTI and if yes are there any inputs validating the status .

regards

Krishnan

2. Re: Are not Co operative banks covered under RTI

Dear Krishnan

Please read the threads available here: Co operative banks covered under RTI - Google Search

regards

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Are not Co operative banks covered under RTI

It depends on a case to case basis.
    Go strictly by the definition of a "public authority" in sec 2(h) of the RTI Act:

Right to Information Act 2005
    Twitter: @cjkarira

4. Re: Are not Co operative banks covered under RTI

Yes.Co-prative Banks come under the purview of R.T.I.Act within the ambit of law.

its under RTI??????

i want some information from co-oprative bank but bank is saying they r not under RTI it isn't under RTI

It has been held recently by Pb & Haryana High Court that Co-oprative banks are covered by the RTI Act.

Name:
    Dr. S.Malhotra
    Blog Entries

It has been held recently by Pb & Haryana High Court that Co-oprative banks are covered by the RTI Act.
    the said Judgment is attached with this post . But The Punjab State Co-op Bank Ltd. has challenged the attached Judgment of Hon'ble HC Punjab and Haryana and an LPA is pending and is listed for last week of this month .
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Re: Are not Co operative banks covered under RTI

It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android