76%
    Monthly Activity
    307%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default State Bank of India not revising TDS return, got less IT refund

I have a savings account in State Bank of India.
    They had deducted tax (approx. Rs. 1500/-) on the interest that had been earned during the financial year 2009-10.
    But they did not quote my PAN number while filing the return, due to which, the TDS amount did not reflect in my Annual Tax Statement (Form 26AS).
    Due to this, I got less refund without Rs. 1500/- & applicable interest.
    Despite writing numerous letters to the branch manager, no progress has been made. They keep saying that they are revising the return, for the past 8 months.
    Kindly advise whether I should file a RTI in this case or should I approach the Banking Ombudsman.
    Can I complaint to my IT assessing officer or to the IT Commissioner regarding the same?
    Kindly suggest the quickest route.

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.03%
    Monthly Activity
    10214.45%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: State Bank of India not revising TDS return, got less IT refund

You may file RTI application addressed to branch head/ACPIO of the branch where you are having account by referring to following links by referring to following links:

Long pending? :
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...ding-govt.html

Central Govt application:
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...govt-info.html

Please make following changes in format:

Address it to Branch Head/ACPIO SBI, _______ branch.

Amend clause on payment of filing fee as " Cash of Rs.10/- is paid herewith"

Mention dates of all letters and enclose photocopies thereof with RTI application.

In addition you can scale up your complaint to Local Head Office Delhi by visiting website of the bank for address.

Following links will also be useful to you:

Make effective:
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...effective.html

Bank problems:
    http://www.bighelpers.org/forum/blog...ems-banks.html

No need to approach IT Dept as it is not at fault. It would have credited to some general account meant for errors of TDS deductors etc. There is error and deficiency in service by SBI. Ombudsman should be last resort.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    Gaurav
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76%
    Monthly Activity
    307%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@jps50, thanks for your reply.
    I will certainly ask most of the questions as suggested.
    But here are some of the following questions I really want to ask them. Kindly advise:

1. Please provide a certified answer whether details and copy of PAN card was provided while opening of bank account.
    2. Please provide a certified answer whether details of my PAN card was provided while filing of TDS return for the FY: 2009-10 with the IT Department.
    3. If no details of PAN card were provided, kindly please provide a certified answer for failure of the same. Also provide details of the bank official who committed the mistake.
    4. Please provide a certified answer whether any action has been taken against the bank official for the mistake.
    5. Please provide a certified answer as to why no Correction Statement has been filed with the IT Department for rectifying the TDS return till date.
    6. Please provide a certified answer as to the expected date of filing a Correction Statement.

Please advise.

Name:
    ranjan
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6%
    Monthly Activity
    194.13%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Never ask questions as you have planned
    PSU bank will always work on directions / ciruclars / or orders or on approval notes / commiitte reports etc

so try to get these certified copies instead

I bevlieve in a recent budget govt has issued directions to cut 20% instead of 10% tds so do check in the form of circular or order ( applicable to those who have not submitted pan cards details )

there is no such certified answers

Try to reframe your queris by way get certified copies directions / ciruclars / or orders or
    approval notes / commiitte reports etc

try to get names and desginations of staff which did wrong doing as you belive

now write a complaint letter informing all what you have collected then again file RTI what action

read RTI act Section 3 and Section 4(1)(d) you will re-frame more queries

try to get proof in certified copies of payment of TDS to central govt ( that is TDS certificate ) check that bank has paid to central govt in turn.

Name:
    Gaurav
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76%
    Monthly Activity
    307%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The bank has deposited TDS with the government.
    They have also issued me TDS certificate for the same.
    But the certificate too did not contain my PAN number.
    Upon asking, they just added the PAN number on the certificate.
    But in their banking software, the PAN was already present.
    When I asked about the same, they claimed ignorance and blamed other bank official.

My main problem is that they are not revising their TDS return.
    Today, I again wrote them a letter and attached copies of previous letters.
    I even talked to their CA who bluntly & clearly said that he will not file any revised return.
    When I talked to the bank manager and told him what my problem was and what their CA had said, he did not reply.

All I want is for them to revise their return so that my ATS correctly reflects my TDS amount.
    And till date, they have refused to do so.

Name:
    KA
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    90.17%
    Monthly Activity
    645.6%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

so find this bank official, try to collect proof of submission of PAN card details , ask bank how they calculate tds ( actual formula ) , you have to work hard to try to nail bank

Name:
    Gaurav
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76%
    Monthly Activity
    307%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jj99 View Post
    so find this bank official, try to collect proof of submission of PAN card details , ask bank how they calculate tds ( actual formula ) , you have to work hard to try to nail bank
    Please provide me with an appropriate question through which I can ask for the erring bank official and the action taken against him/her for making the mistake, if any taken.

Name:
    Gaurav
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76%
    Monthly Activity
    307%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Alright, here is a draft of the questions I have gathered from sources and/or complied for my application.
    Please advise.

3. Particulars of the information required:

i) Daily progress made on my applications dated 09-02-2011, 23-04-2011 and 05-07-2011 [photocopies enclosed] till date of your reply.

ii) Please provide certified copy of the particular page of TDS return having my details (like PAN number, if mentioned, and the TDS deducted from my account) submitted to the Income Tax Department for the FY. 2009-10 as per details in the Form 16A (TDS Certificate) issued to me by your bank.

iii) Names, designations and office addresses of the officials with whom my applications were lying during this period and date wise period with each official and details of action taken by him/her.

iv) Please give evidence of receipt and dispatch of my applications in the offices of each of these officials.

v) Please inform me, according to your rules or citizens charter or any other order, number of days in which such a matter should have been dealt with and resolved. Please also provide a copy of these rules.

vi) If the officials/employees have not adhered to the time limit mentioned in rules and are guilty of violating these rules, please give a copy of their conduct rules and details of action taken by the controlling authority against erring officials/employees.

vii) In case no action has been initiated for dereliction of duties against erring officials, the reasons be made known to me, with name and contact details of controlling authority of these officials/employees.

vii) Please let me know when I am likely to receive reply to my said application.

viii) Please also provide me file notings and action taken report on this application along with your reply.

ix) If a mistake was made in filing the TDS return with the Income Tax Department, please provide details of the bank official who made the mistake in omitting my PAN number details and action taken against him/her.

4. Details of payment of filing fees:
    Indian Postal Order No. __________dated __________for Rs.10/- is enclosed.

5. Please rush the information to me by speed/registered post. I am an Indian citizen . Please reply in English.

6. Details of enclosures:
    i) Self-attested copy of Form 16A (TDS Certificate) for FY: 2009-10 issued by your bank branch.
    ii) Self-attested copy of Form 26AS (Annual Tax Statement) for FY: 2009-10.
    iii) Self-attested copy of previous applications/letters dated 09-02-2011, 23-04-2011 and 05-07-2011 written to your bank branch.

7. If the information is not with you, please forward this application to the appropriate PIO, under intimation to me.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription