30.58%
    Monthly Activity
    14.46%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Look, who is seeking info under RTI

NAGPUR: Information commissioner (Vidarbha) Vilas Patil, who hears appeals under Right to Information (RTI) Act, is now taking recourse of the same Act to seek information of his own 'service conditions.'

Patil, who also reprimands errant officials for non-compliance, filed an application under RTI himself in the state general administration department recently after the government denied him the details.

Patil told ToI on Tuesday: "As per the central Right to Information Act, salaries and allowances and service conditions of the information commissioner shall be the same that of the chief secretary. I took the oath last December but so far the government has not made my service conditions clear. It has not issued a government resolution. I receive basic salary equivalent to what is paid to the chief secretary. However, I do not know what is my travel allowance, house rent allowance and leave entitlement for this post."

Patil said that he has not received any of these allowances. "I have asked the details in the RTI application regarding the service conditions and allowances given to the chief secretary. I received a vague reply from the government. I received a letter, asking me to check details on the government website,"Patil said. Ironically, Patil has been provided with a computer which does not have Internet connection.

There are other issues too regarding which the information commissioner is upset with the government. "We have a sanctioned staff of 18 but only two are permanent staff. Three clerks and three stenographers are on a deputation. We have also not received sanctioned allocations from government. A decision was taken in last winter session to allocate Rs 13.5 lakh each to Nagpur and Aurangabad information commissioners. However, we have just received Rs 4.5 lakh,"he said.

Over 1,400 appeals were filed before the information commissioner (Nagpur and Amravati) in first three months of year but a vast majority of them remain pending.

Look, who is seeking info under RTI-Nagpur-Cities-The Times of India

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    74.77%
    Monthly Activity
    888.4%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: Look, who is seeking info under RTI

Good !
    Now that the IC has got a taste of "the medicine"
    hopefully he will look at appeals coming in to him
    more carefully.

Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.62%
    Monthly Activity
    1.41%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs down Re: Look, who is seeking info under RTI

[quote=ganpat1956;2697]NAGPUR: Information commissioner (Vidarbha) Vilas Patil, who hears appeals under Right to Information (RTI) Act, is now taking recourse of the same Act to seek information of his own 'service conditions.'

Hi

In this case, I feel that what the applicant did is not right. It is impossible for me to believe that a senior bureaucrat like Vilas Patil is not aware of his "service conditions". If senior IAS officials and others hih in the hierarchy are not aware of their service conditions, then who is?

However, I do not know what is my travel allowance, house rent allowance and leave entitlement for this post."

The law says that it should be equivalent to that of the Chief Secretary. Is there any ambiguity about it?

Ironically, Patil has been provided with a computer which does not have Internet connection.

How many officials have been provided with internet connections by the Government. For example, how many police stations have internet connections? Why make such a big fuss about this?

"We have a sanctioned staff of 18 but only two are permanent staff. Three clerks and three stenographers are on a deputation.

This "sanctioned staff" v/s "actual strength" is there in several departments. It is not something that is unique to the Information Commission. Employing people cost money. I think officials like Patil are taking out their personal grievances against the government by taking recourse to the RTI. This phenomenon is there in several departments where a large proportion of queries are from staff.

On balance, RTI is an excellent tool for the common citizens. But babus and other senior officials should not use this to beat the very government that gave them such sweeping powers in the first place.

Avinash

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.92%
    Monthly Activity
    25.39%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I wonder too, why would the Information Commissioner need to raise an RTI application, if it is purely to get the information.

Under Section 18 (3) (b) the power of Information commissioner, it says "requiring the discovery and inspection of documents" ; why would an Information Commissioner resort to RTI application other than to make Government aware about the new Act.

Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.52%
    Monthly Activity
    1.41%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

kushal,

since he was seeking information relating to his personal only, he has rightly taken action as a citizen. he is not covered under provision of section 18(3) for seeking his personal information.

Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.54%
    Monthly Activity
    1.41%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

After carefully analyzing more than five second appeal orders of this IC (Nagpur Bench of SIC Maharashtra) I am of the firm yet personal opinion that this is just a stunt .

Jai Hind.
    Avinash Murkute

Sar Kata Sakte Hai .... Par sar jhuka sakte nahi.
    Jhukta hai sar hamara sirf Tirange ke liye e firangee.

Name:
    Mumbai Civic
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    1.41%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why deny to a government servant what is allowed to a private person? I am not only talking of RTI but the right to have personal motives in invoking RTI.

This forum should encourage such efforts on part of the Government servants.
    -- पूराब्यौरा

Then God said, "Let there be light"... but we said, no, we want first the RTI! Then we will light up our own lives, and those of our fellow beings. But God said, "No, I can't. I am not a fool to open my books to you. Go away!"

Name:
    Mumbai Civic
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    1.41%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kushal View Post
    I wonder too, why would the Information Commissioner need to raise an RTI application, if it is purely to get the information.

Under Section 18 (3) (b) the power of Information commissioner, it says "requiring the discovery and inspection of documents" ; why would an Information Commissioner resort to RTI application other than to make Government aware about the new Act.
    It could be for certified copies.
    -- पूराब्यौरा

Then God said, "Let there be light"... but we said, no, we want first the RTI! Then we will light up our own lives, and those of our fellow beings. But God said, "No, I can't. I am not a fool to open my books to you. Go away!"

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription