0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.17%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

RTI on SBI

My name is Mahesh Kamath and working as an executive in software company. I like to help people with RTI related matters,hence the membership. I am sure i will get all information to my satisfaction from this forum and its members.

This is my query for today.

Sir,

My friend had given a cheque for Rs 1 Lakh from Citi Bank to his elderly relative in order that he lives on the interest there of (proof available) The relative had deposited the said amount in Syndicate Bank Coimbatore Branch and later on Transfered to Tirupathi Branch of the same Bank.Subsequently, this amount was deposited in SBI Sree Kalahasti Branch with my friend as nominee.Now that my friends relative is no more,the Bank refuses to entertain my friends claim saying that they do not have any document to prove his claim.He has got a document to prove that during the term of the deposit with syndicate bank he was in fact the nominee. This document does indicate that the deceased had the intention of continuing this arrangement with SBI also. I also got in my possession the FD receipt for the amount being deposited in SBI Kalahasti Branch.

My question is,is it not possible to force the bank to produce the Account opening form, nomination register,fd voucher under RTI or and other provision of law.If this is not possible what other way is there to claim the amount. Please help.In a nut shell,the onus of proving or disproving should be shifted to the bank and RTI may be of help.
    - Show quoted text -

Name:
    Ganpat
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.07%
    Monthly Activity
    0.35%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default re: RTI on SBI

Whenever a nomination is registered for a bank account, usually the fact of the nomination having been registered is also marked in the deposit receipt / passbook. From your narration, it clearly appears that your friend does not have any proof of such a nomination having been registered in his favour. Besides, please remember that a nominee can at best act as a trustee, while the money will have to go only to the legal heirs of the deceased.

Bank will not part with the information through RTI application in this regard. A document of syndicate bank cannot be used to show that the depositor had an inclination to have a similar arrangement with SBI too. If your friend also happens to be a legal heir, then let him stake his claim through a due process of law.

In a nutshell, the onus of proving his legal entitlement is on the claimant and not the other way about it.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    15.76 MB
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    20.07%
    Monthly Activity
    10.87%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: RTI on SBI

The amount can be claimed by legal heirs of deceased by submitting Death Claim Form, affidavits, indemnity bond [with two guarantors] etc. For amount upto Rs.2.00 lakhs, procedure is simple.

If your friend is not one of the legal heirs, he cannot get information of the account under RTI. If he is one of the legal heirs, he can file RTI application with branch head/ACPIO of the same branch seeking certified copies of account opening form, nomination form, ledger print outs etc. Please visit:

Central Govt application:
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...govt-info.html

Make effective:
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...effective.html

He must attach certified copy of documentary evidence that he is heir of deceased with RTI application.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    KA
    Total Downloaded
    RTI Activity - Stats
    RTI Activity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.25%
    Monthly Activity
    0.44%
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Re: RTI on SBI

Quote Originally Posted by jps50 View Post
    The amount can be claimed by legal heirs of deceased by submitting Death Claim Form, affidavits, indemnity bond [with two guarantors] etc. For amount upto Rs.2.00 lakhs, procedure is simple.

If your friend is not one of the legal heirs, he cannot get information of the account under RTI. If he is one of the legal heirs, he can file RTI application with branch head/ACPIO of the same branch seeking certified copies of account opening form, nomination form, ledger print outs etc.
    please use this CIC decision

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android

Newsletter Subscription