Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Name:
    Dr. S.Malhotra
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What will you do if you are Information Commissioner

What will you do if you are Information Commissioner and how you intend to do the same ?

Name:
    harinder dhingra
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What will you do if you are Information Commissioner

What will you do if you are Information Commissioner

I would try to emulate Mr Shailesh Gandhi if I were ever given a chance to become Information Commissioner because he is one Information Commissioner who has
    a) an office which is possibly the first paperless government office in the country. If one visits Mr Gandhi's scanning room and watch the speed with which large bundles of paper were scanned and turned into digital documents and I never thought a completely paperless office was possible, this is yeoman service for the cause of saving trees & environment;
    b) because he has raised the bar to an extent that second appeals on an average took 2-3 months to dispose of against one year being taken by other Commissioners of CIC/SIC;
    c) because he has put the fear of penalization in PIO/s to the extent that information generally flows before the second appeal is listed before his bench
    d) because he is the first one to raise a voice for RTI Activists safety by ordering to put the information sought by "harmed" RTI applicant on PA/s website which makes the business of harming RTI applicant "useless"
    Today he is retiring from the CIC after successful completion of his tenure with maximum disposal of second appeals done by any Information Commissioner in the country.I salute him.
    GOD BLESS HIM.
    thanks
    harinder dhingra

Name:
    Dr. S.Malhotra
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

dear Harinder ji,
    How would you manage your office :
    1. to increase the disposal rate in routine and satisfy the volume of Applicants
    2. to make yourself accessible to the Applicants and Complainants [ apart from hearing the cases ]
    3. If you are Chief IC , would you like to introduce something new out of the provisions of the Act [ to remove difficulties etc. ] to make system of Appeals / Complaints more efficient [ quick and satisfactory ] . Would you like to experiment with some provision of the Act to introduce something new ?

Name:
    jatin sharma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simple obey RTI Act 2005,if the provision says the information can be given to appellant ,I'll order to give it with a penalty to PIO , even if appellant has not demanded for wasting public time, money & intelligence with me in most unprofesional manner . If the legislation says it can't be disclose by any it's provisions ,I can't help it.
    For speedy disposal-Give penalty one time , next time either PIO will quit or give the information before reaching to me.
    To remove difficulties, I must read other laws and bye laws to compel courts to put pressure on Govt other than me by putting stay on my orders.Make the way for people by strictly adhering & let people believe that they are tools of movement.

Name:
    M K Sharma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ceaser's wife should be above suspicion. So I will first and foremost ensure that section 4 disclosures are made and regularly updated on website and on paper on daily basis in my august office.

Than each decision of mine will carry an essential following remarks:
    1. direction for updation of section 4 (1(a),)(b) disclosure for all PA's, especially mandating index of records and catalog of documents.
    2. seeking compliance of orders from PIOs in a specified time.

I will be objective not subjective on my verdict.

I will work with a presumption that ordinary citizen is lesser equipped with vocabulary of law than govt. babus, therefore I will decide on spirit of RTI act than words. I will not reject contention of appellant(whether citizen or PIO) just because he has made a petty error in used legal vocabulary.

I will not base my decisions on presumptions rather they will be backed by "facts apparent" put before me.

Definite quantity of my time will be spent on making significant qualitative efforts to impart education and training to PIO's and masses by utilising various innovative means of public and govt resources to create a positive climate about transparency and removing facade of secrecy in this dynamic world/ society.

My decisions would be real tough for those who try to bluff/ obstruct/ willfully try to delay the information, thus majority will get a message that in case of doubt their judgment must tilt towards transparency.

My office shall have a small team who will be devoted to follow and confirm that directions given are complied with for example if FIR, penalty or report of compliance from PIO's/ PAs on decisions.

Name:
    aslam
    Post Thanks / Like

@sharmajee"My decisions would be real tough for those who try to bluff/ obstruct/ willfully try to delay the information, thus majority will get a message that in case of doubt their judgment must tilt towards transparency."

but where are teeth given to IC in RTI act?? he/she can only talk tough or fine Rs.25000/- that's it . IC must have powers to launch FIR on PIO/FAA.

Name:
    M K Sharma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will use existing provisions of time bound administrative action, disciplinary action (besides penalty provisions) through controlling officer of errant PIO.

Simply adding a line in decision that PIO to report compliance of order to IC with in 15 days can be of great help.

Understand need is to give clear message, law is equal for all. Today PIO knows, pardon by IC is a norm and penalty is exception. A small apology by a clerk on behalf of PIO is accepted by IC, resulting in great injustice to appellant who had waited for months/ year to get the justice.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aslamkhan View Post
    @sharmajee"My decisions would be real tough for those who try to bluff/ obstruct/ willfully try to delay the information, thus majority will get a message that in case of doubt their judgment must tilt towards transparency."

but where are teeth given to IC in RTI act?? he/she can only talk tough or fine Rs.25000/- that's it . IC must have powers to launch FIR on PIO/FAA.
    There are enough teeth in the RTI Act for the IC to bite so that it really hurts.

What is the big point in asking for 32 more teeth when you are not even using the existing 32 teeth that you have ?
    Follow me on Twitter @cjkarira