Thread: Rule 5 of RTI Rules,2005

1. Rule 5 of RTI Rules,2005

The PIO asked me to remit Rs.12000/- as further fee for supply of documents.Instead of remitting the above said money, whether a CD can be sent and the information can be asked in the CD under rule 5 of Rule 2005.Whether we can demand that the information may be only in the CD form

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Rule 5 of RTI Rules,2005

Esakkimuthu,

Sorry, could not understand your question.
    Please inform me if the following is correct :

You applied for informtion under RTI ?
    The PIO asked you to deposit Rs 12,000/- as cost of giving the information ?
    You want the PIO to give information on a CD to reduce cost ?

If the above is correct, please inform:

1. What voluminous information did you ask for ?
    2. Did you ask for it in a particular form (like photocopies, CD, etc)
    3. Has the PIO given you reasons and calculations as to how he arrived
    at Rs 12,000/-, as the cost of giving information ?
    4. Are these calculations of the PIO as per your State or Central Rules
    (each State has different rules for charges under the RTI Act, clearly
    outlining the charges for giving the information)

Normally, information will be given in the "form" that it is available.
    Maybe (depending on what have you asked for), you can ask for inspection of the information and copies of only that part which you find useful.

Please also see some of the following decisions of the CIC:

https://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/Decision_28052007_21.pdf

https://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/Decision_16112006_4.pdf

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Dear Mr.Esakkimuthu,
    I too did not follow. How Section 5 come here ? The Section applicable is 7(3)(a). Here, thePIO has give you the details of further fees representing the cost ofproviding the information as determined by him, together with the calculations made to arrive a the amount in accordance with fee prescribed underSub-section (1). Can you please post the details here. Itmight be interesting to know the details as to how he arrived at Rs.12,000/-. Please note that " the PIO has to send an intimation" not mere verbal intimation. We will come to the CD portion later. Is the information you asked for is that voluminous ? I sugest you first inspect the doments under RTI Act and ask photocopies of the specific pages for which the rates have been laid down.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 26-08-07 at 01:03 PM.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

I am extremely Sorry ! I mistook for Act 5. Rule 5 is correct. However my suggestion to go for the details and inpsection stands.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 26-08-07 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typing mistakes

5. Re: Rule 5 of RTI Rules,2005

Thanks Karira Again for hyperlinks given by you
    NICK CHAUHAN

6. Re: Rule 5 of RTI Rules,2005

Quote Originally Posted by p.esakkimuthu View Post
    The PIO asked me to remit Rs.12000/- as further fee for supply of documents.Instead of remitting the above said money, whether a CD can be sent and the information can be asked in the CD under rule 5 of Rule 2005.Whether we can demand that the information may be only in the CD form
    1. Yes madam, you can insist that the information be provided on CD. However, you will have to pay the cost of CD. You cannot send your own CD.

2. Why dont you insist for inspection of the file, before you receive the copies? You may reason that Rs.12,000/- is a very high number and going by the calculations it should be around 6,000 pages. Do you really need so many pages?

3. In case its an outstation PA, you can insist that this file be transferred to the nearest branch office of that PA. This is possible under Section 5(4) etc.

Take care

Manoj

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android