Topic Identifier

Thread: Activist plans ‘Gandhigiri’ for better city roads

1. Activist plans ‘Gandhigiri’ for better city roads

Mumbai, June 27: The man who patented the cause for better roads in the city says he is tired of waiting for justice. In 2005, civic activist Kewal Semlani had filed a PIL in the Bombay High Court seeking better roads, but today, the civic activist says he regrets his decision. “I regret filing the PIL that sought action against authorities as two years later, citizens are still waiting for motorable roads,” he said.

But though he may have given up on the system, his faith in bringing about a change remains steadfast. The 71-year-old has decided to switch to the path of non-violence or what he refers to as ‘Gandhigiri’. The concept, popularised through the Bollywood film Lago Raho Munnabhai, has won his favour. “I will now come on the roads and protest with youngsters, to wake up authorities from their slumber. Satyagrahas are the only way out and people from all over the city should come out and protest in front of MMRDA and BMC offices,” he said.

He had also been educating youngsters about the uses of Right to Information Act (RTI). “This is the last option,” he added.

The PIL also caught the attention of former BMC Chief Engineer M R Shah. “One of the main reasons for the recurring problem of potholes is a strong nexus between contractors, engineers and politicians, for their mutual benefit, which I have witnessed through my career,” stated Shah in a report to the Road Monitoring Committee.

Activist plans ‘Gandhigiri’ for better city roads

Re: Activist plans ‘Gandhigiri’ for better city roads

6th October 2008
    Dear Ganpat
    This is very interesting news - though I read it very late. I would like to join hands with Mr Kewal Semlani. Do you have his contact number & address ? My contact is Tel 9324228946. I stay at Dahisar (West).
    Regards
    Shrikant

Re: Activist plans ‘Gandhigiri’ for better city roads

This is very interesting news - though I read it very late. I would like to join hands with Mr Kewal Semlani.
    Dear Shrikant,

You are too late.

This great man Shri Kewal Semlani ji passed away on July 7 2008. He has left behind a great legacy that remains unfulfilled.

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/5088-r...sses-away.html

But there's no stopping you to do Gandhi giri as Semlani ji did in his life time.

We are with you.

Sidharth
    Last edited by sidmis; 06-10-08 at 02:43 PM.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android