Topic Identifier

Thread: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

1. Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

I got very excited when I heard Indian embassy in the US was accepting RTI applcation. To confirm whether ,the same applies in the UK ,I emailed PIO at Indian embassy in london

The following was the reply, which I feel is bit disappointing

Dear Mr. Palla,

There are designated authorities in every State who are competent to handle cases under RTI Act. You may like to file your application with the relevant authorities in your State in India.

Regards,

Arun Kumar Sahu
    First Secretary(Political)
    High Commission of India
    India House, Aldwych
    London, WC2B 4NA
    Ph: 00-44-20-7632 3018
    Fax: 00-44-20-7632 3210
    E-mail: arun.sahu@hcilondon.net

2. Re: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

Yes, this sounds not a proper reply. However, it may be case dependent too. What was you had asked about?

3. Re: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

Quote Originally Posted by Prabhakar Reddy Palla View Post
    You may like to file your application with the relevant authorities in your State in India.

Regards,

Arun Kumar Sahu
    Looks like Mr Arun Kumar Sahu got confused by your mail. Probably he was not able to understand your question.

Kindly send him another mail clearly mentioning that you were from UK and wanted details on PIOs in UK.

Best wishes

Manoj

4. Re: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

Hi Manoj,

Many thanks for the reply.I did give Mr Sahu my home address in the UK & euquired about the procedure ,to file an RTI application from the UK.
    I was really surprised by the reply.
    I emailed again for further clarification

Reagrds
    Prabhakar

5. Re: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

Hi kushal,

Many thanks for the input.I didnt file any RTI application. All I wanted to know ,from Mr Sahu ,was the procedure (like fee payments etc) in to file an application.

Prabhakar

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

Prabhakar,

All Indian Citizens, irrespective of where they are based, are allowed to file a application for information under the RTI ACT 2005. It does not matter where you are...in India, UK or Timbukttu, for that matter. There are no "jurisdictional" restrictions mentioned in the Act. The only criteria is that the application is accompanied by the prescribed application fee.

The Indian Embassy in the UK and specifically Mr Sahu, the First Secretary (political) is misinformed. IFS officers and other embassy staff, who represent the country should not only be well aware of current trends and happenings but should also be actively helping Indian Citizens. It seems that the staff in the Indian Embassy in UK as well as the officers in the External Affairs Ministry are sleeping.

Please write once again to Mr Sahu pointing out the following:

1. Let him viist the website CIC
    On the left hand panel , the 4th link from the top says "PIO and AA of
    Indian Embassies". I am sure Mr Sahu will not be able to explain !

2. Please ask Mr Sahu to see the following:

https://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/Decision_28032007_10.pdf

In particular draw his attention to para 14 of the above decision (reproduced below):

“A point for discussion was raised whether the Indian Missions set up in
    foreign countries come under the purview of the RTI Act. Since these
    Indian Missions are set up by the Foreign Ministry; they come under the
    ambit of the RTI-Act. However, the mode of payment to be made by
    RTI Applicants seeking information from the Indian Missions has not been
    clarified in the existing rules. The matter may be taken up with the
    Ministry of External Affairs and Department of Personnel & Training.
    However, Missions will not have the right to reject application on this
    ground along till such time as the necessary amendments are made.”

Probably, Mr Sahu will claim that they are still in the process. Please remind him about the last sentence in the above reference:

“ However, Missions will not have the right to reject application on this
    ground along till such time as the necessary amendments are made.”

If Mr Sahu has any further doubts , please ask him to visit www.rtiindia.org and members will be very pleased to answer his querries and clarify his doubts to the best of our ability.

To make sure that Mr Sahu does not raise any other issues, please mark a copy of your email to:

whabibullah@nic.in

(Mr Habibullah was himself once Minister, Community Affairs, Embassy of India, Washington DC)

an.tiwari@nic.in

(Mr Tiwari was Counsellor, Embassy of India, Moscow<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P> </O:P>
    August 1985 to June 1989<O:P> )</O:P>
    <O:P></O:P>
    <O:P></O:P>

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Reply from India consulate in london about RTI

Prabhakar,

I cannot say whether it is a coincidence or someone from CIC or Mr Sahu himself, visits this thread often. Or did you do something ?

Being free on a Saturday, I thought I will send a email to Mr Sahu. While drafting my email, I visited the link for "PIO & AA of Indian Embassies" on the CIC website (CIC). To my amazement, the link now contains updated information of ALL PIO's and AA's of each and every Indian Embassy, High Commission and Consulate located abroad - from Algeria to Zimbabwe.
    Last edited by karira; 07-07-07 at 04:51 PM.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android