Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Lamp consumption records.

1. Street Lamp consumption records.

One of our member SKohari had asked for information about Street Lamps:-

How many, consumption, timings, incharge-of maintenance, etc.

But they replied saying that the info will be available only that the Power Suppply companies. Is it not unfair? If the govt is paying for the services, should the govt have info on "WHAT" we are paying for?

his question is where are the details of the contract between the govt and the companies?

Can you help him to frame this application?
    82 crore is a lot to pay for 1 lakh street lamps.

2. Re: Street Lamp consumption records.

Yes, they are bound to get-and-give the information. See this informative thread for more information.:

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ask-rt...ution-pio.html

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Street Lamp consumption records.

Quote Originally Posted by nile0611 View Post
    82 crore is a lot to pay for 1 lakh street lamps.
    nile0611,

Lets do some quick "back of the envelope" calculations:

82 Crores for 100,000 street lamps

= Rs 8200 per lamp per year
    = Rs 22.46 per lamp per day
    = Approx 4.5 units per day (assuming Rs 5 per unit is charged
    although I think that for street lights
    there might be
    different rate, but lets assume this for
    argument sake)
    = 4500 watts per day consumption

nile, I am not a Electrical Engineer, but if its a tubelight, the consumption should be 56 W and 120 W per hour.
    (Street Lights, Street Light, Street Lights india, Street Light india - Shah Electronics......)

Mercury lamps use between 250 to 400 watts per hour.
    High Pressure Sodium use between 100 to 250 watts per hour.
    (see Sarnia Savings)

Please also see:

In Cantt, computer-controlled street lighting

As per above news item, PCB spent Rs 1 crore every year for 5000 street lights. That converts to Rs 20 crores for 1 lakhs street lights. The above article is of the year 2006 and if we assume a hike of even 10% in the power charges, the bill for 1 Lakh street lights should be 22 crores.

Figures do not gel. Please recheck your figures to make sure.

Please also see:

REEEP - Financing energy efficient street lighting in India

Might be of interest to you.

4. Thumbs up Street Lamp Consumption

Thanks to all for replying! However, I was majorly excited about RTI earlier, but after a few dead ends I am finding it difficult to pursue the cause of RTI. Officers dont reply clearly, they divulge unnecessary information and avoid answering the 'real' question.
    I accept that I am new and may not be framing my questions correctly, but if you can throw some light on:
    1) How do I get a govt. official executed for a wrong doing which he accepts in the RTI reply? Example Streetlights. If he send me back details which tell me that they have spent more than what they ought to, where do I go with that reply? Should I take it his seniors? Court of Law? Where does it come full circle?
    Appreciate your help and support.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: can we make our first application through email?

Firstly, had you given your location at the top portion as being done by others we would have been in a better position to localise the issue. Secondly, why do you want to EXECUTE an official ? I don't think he has done that serious an offence necessitating EXECUTION. Thirdly, after you get the information using RTI Act you have to approach the appropriate Authority making use of the information gained for further action. Functions of the RTI Act cease after it helped you to get the required information.

6. Re: can we make our first application through email?

You are right, 'Execute' is the wrong word I used. I mean 'take him to task'. Again I only mean in the direction sense. But what is an appropriate authority for such cases as overspending? It is much easier for people within the govt to followup and complete the inquiry to its desired end; But people like me are just lost.

Besides, I am asking what do people do? Whether or not they use RTI, they achieve their objective. I wanna know how to do that. Ofcourse RTI helps me tremendously, but then what

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

You are likely to get the answer if you go to the Big Helpers Forum explined at the top.

Your query is not clear. RTI helps in getting 'Information'. It does not by itself solve problems. For solving problems one has to take follow up action armed with the info available. Coming to the specifics, what I understand from your query is that you are worried about street lights. It is not clear whether the issue is "not providing" street lights at a particular place or "over spending" on street lights with no commensurate results. If it is "not providing" street lights then you have to frame your query under RTI clearly. For example you can ask 'how much amount was spent on providing street lights in locality 'x' ? How many street lights were provided there during period 'y'? Are all the street lights functioning now? If not what action has been taken? Who is the official responsible for ensuring that the street lights function properly?........ so on and so forth. This sort of request will give you the information to proceed further. It may also at times wake up the persons responsible to act.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android