Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Can a PIO or a OIC apply under RTIA 2005 ?

Quote Originally Posted by mpai View Post
    Except on the part that a passport "the only document which authentically proves your citizenship" in Point 1, rest of your points 1 to 4 are correct. Kindly check The Citizenship Act 1955 for more details.
    I was speaking in "practical" terms - not necessarily technically.

Quote Originally Posted by mpai View Post
    A recent survey in US showed that over 90% of printed papers are discarded the same day it was printed, even though very few printing takes places. Most of the communications are either vocal through voice mail or digital. As such, less of Government money is used in such countries. On the contrary, India is different. For each copy of communication printed and signed for despatch, there are at least half a dozen copies printed as file copy, Head Of Office Copy, Accounts Section Copy, DFA etc. You have to change this office procedure first.

Further, you may be paying Rs.2/- for each copy of printed paper you receive under the RTI Act. However, the Government itself would be spending Rs.200/- behind each paper in "that" file. So its no point in comparing other countries and their laws with that of India.

Manoj
    I am not sure how this logic applies to being a citizen or non-citizen. Just FYI, having worked on a lot of US govt. contracts - paper retention in US govt. offices is just as bad as in our own.... surveys probably targeted more private businesses than the govt.

So I still stand by my assertion that the citizenship requirement came entirely out of GoI babus' heads and from a practical point f view is pretty much useless.

› Find content similar to: Can a PIO or a OIC apply under RTIA 2005 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Re: Can a PIO or a OIC apply under RTIA 2005 ?

May i add one new angle to this discussion.Sec. 3 refers to citizen,but section 6 reads"Aperson.......shall makes a request in ............ Thus aright to make application is linked to person and not citizen.Same true for Sec.19 also.PL. see recent famous order of chief CIC inJ.C. Talukdar's case dated17-5-2007. even company or firm can apply.Then why not Pio etc

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Just an update.
    The "Person of Indian Origin" applied under RTI and also informed in his application that he is a PIO card holder. His application was accepted by the Public Information Officer.
    Lets see what happens when 30 days are up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am still awaiting someone to comment on my angle as it is very important issue and needs to be interacted.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Narayanvarma,

You have correctly pointed out re "citizen" and "person".
    But the question will be which section over rules the other.

Regarding company, association, samity, etc applying under RTI Act, it is very confusing. Someone pointed out (in another thread) that it all depends on which IC hears the appeal.

I am going by the definition of "PIO" and "OCI" as given by the Home Ministry and the rights they have within India.

Many other countries , which have similar acts, do not state that only "citizens" are allowed to apply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Narayanvarma,

You have correctly pointed out re "citizen" and "person".
    But the question will be which section over rules the other.
    My interpretation too is based on the reference to "person" rather than "citizen" in the law text. I believe OCI can definitely apply for the information.

Just in case- there is another thing in RTI law-that is- no person seeking information under RTI could be prosecuted in the court of law unless it is proven that the intention is malicious. So one can definitely seek information without any worries about being on the wrong side of the law.
    Abhay

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

very well said
    Dhirendra Prasad
    RTI Activist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narayanvarma View Post
    May i add one new angle to this discussion.Sec. 3 refers to citizen,but section 6 reads"Aperson.......shall makes a request in ............ Thus aright to make application is linked to person and not citizen.Same true for Sec.19 also.
    Let us stop beating round the bush on this issue. The Person, Citizen and Individual clauses were the bone of contention during the 2nd panel discussion during the First RTI Convention conducted by CIC at Vigyan Prasar last year. Er Sarbajit Roy had the last word on this clause.

As such, group members may kindly refer to my original reply at Sl.No.2 above.

Best wishes

Manoj

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast