Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Tamil police thinks Boeing 747 costs Rs 1,600

Tamil police thinks Boeing 747 costs Rs 1,600

New Delhi: Handling paper work, maintaining huge records and fighting crime at the same time. Tamil Nadu police perhaps have too much on their hands.

Otherwise, can you imagine a cycle being worth around Rs 90, 000? But according to a police record in Tamil Nadu, it is valued at over Rs 91,000.

Meanwhile, an ordinary motorcycle is valued at over Rs 11 lakh. And that’s not all. Another bloomer that could make you rich is by owning a moped, which the police records value at over Rs 90 lakh.
    The 2006 annual report of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India lists quite a number of similar goofups, and it makes an amusing list.

For instance, in one particular case, musical instruments were classified as Agricultural Products. And another one is worth its letters in gold.

Seventy grams of gold was valued at Rs 20 lakh! Now we know why all that gold smuggled from the Gulf is sold here in the south.

The police seem to have hit the bull's eye with this one: 15,000 buffaloes reported lost in a single case.

A Boeing 747 jumbo, black in colour, is missing in Madurai and it's worth Rs 1,600.

And here is a feat even Scotland Yard would envy. There were 115 FIRs filed even before crimes were committed! Now that's what's called foresight.

The police, however, are speechless when asked about the bloomers.

IBNLive.com > Tamil police thinks Boeing 747 costs Rs 1,600 : tamil nadu, police, record

› Find content similar to: Tamil police thinks Boeing 747 costs Rs 1,600

Last edited by karira; 09-07-07 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Formatting

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Tamil police thinks Boeing 747 costs Rs 1,600

Earlier we used to have a section in our forum---zoints-best of the web, that contained a lot of humour. Once when I noticed certain undesirable features in that, I reported to Kushal and the same has since been removed, with the result, we missed the humour portion of it too. Thank you Karira, for supplementing that with our own version of desi-humour.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Ganpat,

Today has been a very enjoyable day for me.
    I was slightly indisposed and so was my wife. So I decided to take a "extended" weekend and stayed home. Watched Peter Sellers "Pink Panther" (the first one), took a nice siesta in the afternoon, then watched "Padosan" (the old one) but nothing prepared me for what I read and posted above. I laughed and laughed and laughed. Read it out to my 85 year old father and he is still laughing (normally he sleeps by 1000 or 1030, but says that tonight he would like to read and reread the above.) He says, he cannot sleep because at his age he cannot digest such "information".

My "smelly fish" nose, thinks that it could be a "insurance claim scam".
    What do you think ?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Although I laughed over this yesterday, my inquisitive and logical mind took over this morning. I could just not believe that this could happen. Neither the person filing the FIR nor the policeman who registered it, would ever believe and be convinced that 15,000 buffaloes can be lost in one single case.
    It's just not possible. I wanted to get to the bottom of this, simply because such cases would make mirth at our Police, which is not a good thing for the country.
    After 3 hours of "investigation", calls to various people all over the country, I couldn't get to the bottom of it. When I was finally giving up and about to give this subject a quiet burial, guess what happened ?
    I found the answer on our very own www.rtiindia.org !

Please see:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/chit-c...cag-angry.html

a thread started by myself !

It seems, that all this, because of data inconsistency due to two different "systems" being used by the Police department at different levels of the organisation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

for all i know mistakes do happen from anyboy and everybody. why gloss over some software related errors and do 'badnaam' to an entire department?

having been in software field for well over 13 years and having done projects for the biggest of companies world wide, i know, the best names in the business circles do blunders far worse than these. we might satisfy our bloated egos or supressed complexes by laughing at the mistakes of some govt servants but i can tell you we in private sector do no better. we often do unimaginable mistakes that are very difficult for a govt servant to even contemplate.

i'm not from tamilnadu police nor have i anybody even remotely connected to me in tn police. i'm just worried that we are maligning an institution just to prove a point and ignoring the real issues.

and ofcourse, even i did have a hearty, noisy laugh. afterall, who doesn't enjoy it when another person is chided for his unintentional mistakes.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android