Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

compuser1973,

You are a compuser.
    Can you find out when the update was made on the website (possibly html source code change date).
    Check if it is after 19 July 2007 0903 AM IST.
    There are "other" ways too to find this out but not in a public forum.

Although the explanation, advise and suggestion, given by the Embassy website is logically correct, but is not practical.

Can you ask the Embassy, as to how you can pay the Rs 10.00 application fee, while sitting in the USA. No PIO in India will accept your US$ 0.24 cheque. You can even send them a general email now, just referring to the above advise, that they have given and seeking clarification and further advise.

If they reject your First Appeal, go for a Second Appeal to the CIC. I am sure the matter will be finally sorted out at that stage.

Last edited by karira; 26-07-07 at 12:49 AM.

2. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

I have already done so with precisely that question the next day after I received the reply in a letter. However, as is the case with typical GoI babus - don't think anyone ever cares to respond to emails. I am seriously thinking about filing an RTI with the embassy to get their response rate information :-)

Funny thing is that it has been about 4-5 days since I sent an email to CIC and 2 additional ICs asking about this quandry - and not so much as an acknowledgement yet saying they have even received an email. I am planning to send a fax letter to the CIC raising this question - may be they need hard copies to take any action at all.

Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

I live in New Jersey and earlier this year forwarded 3 RTI requests (to SEBI and RBI) thru the India consulate in New York City. I went thru the consulate because a desi colleague said if there was any question relating to Indian citizenship the consulate where I was registered would be in the best position to quickly verify and confirm my status.

My experience with the Indian Consulate's CPIO in New York City is as follows. She called me on the phone and acknowledged that she was the CPIO and had received the applications, but didn't have an answer to my question about how to pay application fees. She said they were 'not yet set up' to formally receive any RTI requests, but she would be willing to help me "informally."

I had sent my requests on email, and didn't know what to expect. When I called back some days later, her secretary said "informally" meant she would not send me any written acknowledgment. I tried arguing that if they were not 'set up yet' to receive RTI requests why can't she at least tell me in writing that they are not 'set up yet.' But I didn't push it because she said my requests had been forwarded on email to the SEBI CPIO, though it was up to the SEBI CPIO to decide whether to take note of it or not. The SEBI CPIO's office did write back saying I hadn't paid my Rs. 10. I used ICICI Bank's online DD purchase facility to send them the Rs. 10 per application, and then SEBI did recognize my application as valid.

Regarding the RTI request to RBI also sent thru the Indian Consulate, I don't know what happened to it. Repeated phone calls to RBI finally elicited the response that they didn't have anything (whether this is the NYC consulate CPIO's fault, or that of RBI, which is a massive bureaucracy where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, is debatable). So I sent it by courier afresh, and made similar arrangements to pay the Rs.10.

SUMMARY: Indian consulates abroad do have designated CPIOs so we can submit RTI requests to them. But things still seem a little unsettled. Probably better to send requests directly to a public authority in India, and arrange for payment of Rs. 10 fees in India. At least for organizations willing to accept RTI requests on email, it seems much simpler to approach them directly.

Best,
    Murgie

4. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

That is very revealing fact Murgie, thanks for sharing the experience with us.

5. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Thats a good information murgie,
    karira your idea is great. May be financial feasibility that has to be seen.
    I would love to know the name of the site which is offering similar service

Intermediaries for submitting RTI requests??

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Maneesh,
    Don't rob me of my idea please !
    I am working on a Public-Private partnership portal to accept RTI applications, accept payment by CC/ITZ cards/Mobile payments (in future), direct the applications to the correct PIO of the correct PA and resolve any disputes regarding the application.
    Once the application reaches the PIO, the normal process takes over. If the PIO so wishes, he can even reply and give information by email (without the portal coming in between).
    I am planning to charge Re. 1.00 per application.
    Looks financially feasible at this stage.
    Dear Karira: Just went and re-read this in the links you included with today's Manoj Mitta article in the Times. Have you succeeded in getting this off the ground? It would be good if this type of intermediary was set up not simply as a private convenience, but as something that is also recognized by the RTI authorities as a valid agent for submitting RTI queries. That could take us some distance towards overcoming the problem of not getting even the initial RTI request acknowledged. Best, -Murgie

(PS -- Am trying to hange the title on this thread as it doesn't pertain to anything special to NRI/OCI/PIO issues.)

Hello Murgie, Compuser1973,

I have this idea which needs to be tested.

Is it possible for you people living abroad to send your RTI Applications to any of the designated post offices in India?In all probability the CAPIO of the Designated Post Office forward the RTI Application to the right CPIO/PA.

Fees can be paid through Draft or through International Money Order.

The detailed list of CAPIOs and instructions are available here & here.

If these facilities can be used by us Resident Indians then I don't see any reasons why the same cannot be used by NRIs. As a proof of your identity you can attach some supporting documents with your application.

Please remember that these designated CAPIOs do not forward RTI Applications to State PIOs/PAs.

Do you forsee any practical difficulties here?

Sidharth

Quote Originally Posted by sidmis View Post
    Hello Murgie, Compuser1973,

The detailed list of CAPIOs and instructions are available here & here.
    The two links above don't seem to work. Best, -Murgie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android