Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

1. Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

I sent a RTI application (concerning Union Urban Development dept.) to Indian Embassy in Washington DC with prescribed fees, proof of citizenship etc. I today received a letter from the Embassy PIO saying I should send the application directly to the PIO concerned (in Delhi).

Is this how it is supposed to be? What otherwise is the purpose of enabling Indian missions abroad to accept applications? And assuming I could send the application directly to Delhi - could I still send a check in US$ as application fees? I somehow find this rather ridiculous and PIO of the Indian Embassy here rather uninformed.

Your opinions are requested....

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

compuser,

You can file a First Appeal to the officer in charge for accepting first appeals in the Indian Embassy in Washington.
    The grounds for the First Appeal will be Section 6, 3:

<TABLE style="LINE-HEIGHT: 2" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline"><TD style="WIDTH: 15px">3.</TD><TD>Where an application is made to a public authority requesting for an information,—</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="LINE-HEIGHT: 2" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline"><TD style="WIDTH: 15px">i.</TD><TD>which is held by another public authority; or</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="LINE-HEIGHT: 2" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: baseline"><TD style="WIDTH: 15px">ii.</TD><TD>the subject matter of which is more closely connected with the functions of another public authority, the public authority, to which such application is made, shall transfer the application or such part of it as may be appropriate to that other public authority and inform the applicant immediately about such transfer: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Provided that the transfer of an application pursuant to this sub-section shall be made as soon as practicable but in no case later than five days from the date of receipt of the application

If the Indian Embassy in Washington does not have the information you asked for, they have to transfer your application (under intimation to you) to the concerned PIO in the respective PA.

3. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Thanks... I will do that today iteself...

4. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

While I did not receive a reply directly from the Indian Embassy to an email questioning this issue, the Embassy has put the following text on its site: "It may also be pointed out that as per section 6(1) (a) of the RTI Act, 2005, a person who desires to obtain information under the Act is required to submit the application to the Information Officer of the “concerned public authority”. Applicants are, therefore, advised to send their requests under the RTI Act to the Embassy only when the subject matter can reasonably be presumed to pertain to the Embassy. While section 6(3) provides for the transfer of an application by a receiving PIO to another [concerned] PIO, this is clearly meant to cover situations where the application is addressed to a PIO on the assumption that it has been directed to the concerned PIO. Where the information required obviously does not pertain to the Embassy, the application may be addressed to the concerned PIO directly."

So how does someone in say US send the application fees along with the RTI application to a PIO in India?

5. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Kushal,
    is there a foreign post office Washington. May be this will be excellent business opportunity to earn some dollers

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Maneesh,
    Don't rob me of my idea please !
    I am working on a Public-Private partnership portal to accept RTI applications, accept payment by CC/ITZ cards/Mobile payments (in future), direct the applications to the correct PIO of the correct PA and resolve any disputes regarding the application.
    Once the application reaches the PIO, the normal process takes over. If the PIO so wishes, he can even reply and give information by email (without the portal coming in between).
    I am planning to charge Re. 1.00 per application.
    Looks financially feasible at this stage.

7. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Karira,

I once came across an outfit, during my web search, performing a similar service and charging some higher amounts than the one you presently contemplate. They even undertake to get the application made " in a different name if you do not want to be identified with the application for fear of repraissals" but promise to deliver you the reply for their hefty charges. I will once again make a search and try to mail you their details.

8. Re: Interesting reply to an RTI application from Indian Embassy in Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Maneesh,
    Don't rob me of my idea please !
    I am working on a Public-Private partnership portal to accept RTI applications, accept payment by CC/ITZ cards/Mobile payments (in future), direct the applications to the correct PIO of the correct PA and resolve any disputes regarding the application.
    Once the application reaches the PIO, the normal process takes over. If the PIO so wishes, he can even reply and give information by email (without the portal coming in between).
    I am planning to charge Re. 1.00 per application.
    Looks financially feasible at this stage.
    If you need any help in that or for beta testing let me know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast