0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    0 Post(s)

Information denied under Sec(i)(d)

Dear Sir,

I am glad to become a member of RTI movement. I have several successes to my credit. I shall post the details in the next few days. Meanwhile I have a query relating to denial of information by the Appellate Authority, LIC of India, Zonal Office,
    I asked the Information Office, LIC, New Delhi for details on insurance training programs conducted by certain agencies for its agents on the criteria of their selection, their standing infrastructure available with them, if any of these institutions were involved in disciplinary action by the LIC or IRDA, cost per candidate and details of the faculty, the resources available at command of the institution. The Information Officer denied the same for all the 10 points under Section 8 (i)(d) thereby showing a bias in favor of certain institution. The Appellate Authority supplied some information but denied the same on most of the points. At the end, he stated that if the applicant did not feel satisfied with his order, he may appeal within 30 days to him again.

My question is:

01. Whether Section 8(i)(d) can allow non-disclosure of information on the points above?

02. Whether the Appellate Authority can seek another appeal in respect to its own order on the first appeal?

I shall be grateful for clarifications.

(R.R. Grover)

› Find content similar to: Information denied under Sec(i)(d)

C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    43 Post(s)
    13 Thread(s)
    164 Post(s)

Re: Information denied under Sec(i)(d)

LIC must have issued a tender for such services and then signed a contract with the service provider.

Once such a contract is signed , it comes into the public domain, unless there is a "confidentiality" clause inserted in the agreement. Nevertheless, the Public Authority (PA) is bound to give information which is not covered by the "confidentiality" clause under Section 10 (1).
    Much of the information you have asked LIC, cannot be termed as "confidential due to commercial interests".

Please see the following decisions by CIC:

In all the above cases, the CIC decided that such agreements cannot be covered under Section 8(1)(d).

Regarding the second part of your question, the AA cannot be "appealed to" a second time. There is no provison in the Act for such a "re-appeal". The correct procedure would be to make a Second Appeal to the CIC.

Re: Information denied under Sec(i)(d)

That is the great information Karira. Thanks.

The PIO had the power of revision of his decision. In case it is asked about PIO then offcourse he can revise his decision (provide more information), but as Karira said, there is no such thing as revision by AA