Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New member introduction

The reason I had not 'posted' in the past few days was that I was occupied with using the RTI ---indeed I must shot off over a dozen applications.

One common hurdle that I have encountered is as follows: Submitting applications over the counter is , well, okay, if you deposit the fees in cash. But should you want to do so by other modes---DD/PO?/PO---the immediate question is: in whose favour do you draw the instrument? I have so fr not found any indication on the website of any department nor even of the CIC or the RTI portal.

The problems compounded by the fact that even most offices of the PIOs are ignorant or unsure about it. One of the PIOs of the MHA , when pressed, said apparently out of sheer exasperation: well, just make it in favour of 'DDO, MHA. The problem is far worse when you attempt to send RTI applications by post to other cities/ States . You have to find out the phone number of the concerned PIO, make an STD call and ask . You will be lucky to get the info in the first call.

I have been wondering whether I am alone in encountering this problem.Surely of the total lot of RTI cases there must be a good number of outstation ones. How do they manage?

Thought I might share this with other dreamer-friends.

Rajat Narain

› Find content similar to: in whose favour do you draw the instrument?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Re: in whose favour do you draw the instrument?

Rajat,

Most of the applicants face the same problem.

If you analyse the process of making a RTI application, there are various "problems" which a layman will face:

1. Whom to make the application to ? (deciding on the PA)
    2. Who is the PIO and where does he sit ? (name boards not available in PA)
    3. In whose name to make the D/D or B/C ?
    4. What is the PIO's phone number in order to clarify any of the above ?
    5. When application is submitted, how to get a proper reciept for it ?
    Is the PIO's signature with date sufficient ?
    Is the round rubber stamp needed on the copy ?

Awareness amoung the general public will remove some of these but it will take time. After all, only 2 years have passed.

Regarding the payment aspect, why doesn't each state and the centre have a separate "account head" in whose name we can make a D/D, irrespective of which PA we are applying to ? After all, collecting Rs 10.00 will not make any PA self sufficient or compensate them for their time and effort in replying to the RTI application.
    Last edited by karira; 26-07-07 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    1. Whom to make the application to ? (deciding on the PA)
    2. Who is the PIO and where does he sit ? (name boards not available in PA)
    3. In whose name to make the D/D or B/C ?
    4. What is the PIO's phone number in order to clarify any of the above ?
    5. When application is submitted, how to get a proper reciept for it ?
    Is the PIO's signature with date sufficient ?
    Is the round rubber stamp needed on the copy ?
    For 1 & 2 simply address it to the PIO the particular PA.

Send a postal order worth Rs.10/- and leave the name blank. Write in your rti application that this space has been left blank as you do not know the name in whose favour it should be drawn and request the PIO to write it himeself.

You can write a letter to head of department of the PA to send you a list of PIOs / AAs etc. with their contact details.

A signed receipt is enough. However, why dont you send you application Under Certificate of Posting? Its cheaper and far safer.

Manoj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mpai View Post
    Send a postal order worth Rs.10/- and leave the name blank. Write in your rti application that this space has been left blank as you do not know the name in whose favour it should be drawn and request the PIO to write it himeself.

You cant draw an IPO or a DD with the name field blank, can you?

There should be a common name in whos favor the instrument should be drawn. something like the Accounts Manager, Civil Supplies or something. Anyone know anything?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

If you purchase a IPO from the Post Office, the "pay to" line is always blank.
    In case the name is not known, mention the IPO number, amount and date in your main RTI application and request the PIO to fill in the "pay to" line since you are not able to find it on the website or from other sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, I didnt know that, it makes things a lot easier then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

after the RTI act was enacted, all the states [i hope] have framed rules regarding fees - how much \, to whom and the head of the account in which it should be paid. in Tamilnadu, the TN Right to Information Fees Rules is available at the state website. i think similar situation prevails in the case of other states also.