Topic Identifier

Poll: Should Annual Confidential Report of Officials be disclosed under RTI?

Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Name:
    NK Agarwal
    Blog Entries

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Dear Mr. Tara,
    Your concern about disclosure of ACRs is not convincing.
    No body is saying to put the ACRs in public domain.
    Everyone has to follow a set procedure to ask info under RTI Act-2005, even a criminal has a right to ask info under RTI Act-2005.
    Any citizen of India can ask info under RTI Act-2005.
    There is no such personal info on the ACR pages that can be used by the criminals to harm the lives and properties of any one.
    The criminals need no ACRs to cause harm to any citizen.
    We live in free Nation where we aspire for "Where the mind is without fear and the Head is held high ...." I am sure these lines of Rabindra Nath Tagore inspires all of us..

Name:
    T.T.Tara
    Blog Entries

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Dear Mr. Agrawal,
    at the outset kindly accept my new year 2009 greeting. well your reply is well understood. However, still i would submit you to kindly revisit your reply, with comments considering the changing mind sets of all humans in this brutally competitive world.
    your seincerly
    TTTara

Name:
    NK Agarwal
    Blog Entries

Mr. Tara,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Many posts have been exchanged on disclosure of ACRs and confidentiality, many learned friends have shared their perceptions and ideas, I have nothing more to add.<o:p></o:p>
    Many of the reactions and views expressed in this forum act as intellectual feed for the mind, at least for my mind.<o:p></o:p>
    I believe that the ensuing morning of the New Year would usher us into a world where the “Mind is without fear..........and the head is held high...." <o:p></o:p>
    I believe that the coming New Year would see more pro-activism for RTI Act-2005, many of the hiccups would be matter of past and getting information would become as easy as flowing stream. The PIOs and AAs would help information seekers.<o:p></o:p>

Name:
    Ravindrakumar Maheshwari

I endorse the views of Agarwal Sir, and an ACR should be made public. The thread is still open for discussions. I wish to slightly deviate from the subject, yet, on ACR only. In my opinion, a Column should be inserted in the Self-Appraisal Part of the ACR requiring an PIO to reflect the efforts made by him to implement the Act and the disposal of applications at his level; and a Column should also be inserted in the Part to be filled in by the Reporting Officer, wherein he should record as to whether actions mandated under Act were taken by the PIO. The duty shall be cast on the Reporting / Reviewing / Accepting Authority to make an adverse entry in case IC has imposed a penalty on PIO; besides, the delay in disposal of RTI applications by PIO shall also attract adverse remarks. There is no periodical review of performance of the PIO; and it is only after one approaches FAA or IC, the decision of PIO is being questioned. In many cases, information is being furnished beyond time; but since people get information, they do not approach FAA. Entries in ACRs would fix PIOs accountable and they wont be able to escape from being penalized.

Name:
    NK Agarwal
    Blog Entries

The existing ACR proforma has enough columns to reflect performance aspects by the reportee (self appraisal), Reporting officer, Reviewing officer and Accepting officer.
    A PIO and AA performs additional duties and responsibilities under RTI Act-2005 and this additional work performance is part of the annual assessment by the respective officers. Failure in discharging of mandatory duties and function is to be commented by all including the reportee in his self appraisal.
    The bone of contention is the ACR which is not written objectively and dispassionately and is used to damage the career progression of an employee.
    Normally no one would ask for disclosure of his ACRs, To my knowledge most of the cases under RTI Act-2005 for disclosure are those where the ÄCR” has/have affected the applicant adversely in his career or the ACR does not reflect the correct attributes or the ACR is written malafidely. In general the ACRs have been used to settle some scores. In many services the next promotion depends on ACRs, and a damaging ACR takes it toll certainly.
    The writing of ACRs in most of the departments is very shoddy and casual as a result each one down the line want to hide it under the clause of Official Secret Act and confidentiality.
    The role of a PIO in disclosure or making the ACR available to applicant is very very limited unless he has played the role of reporting or reviewing officer or is involved in any way.

So increasing columns in the ACR proforma would not bring the objective of disclosure under RTI Act-2005. It is different matter that the ACR proforma and the rules needs some changes to make it transparent with objectivity.
    The crux of the matter remains, no amount of rules and law can bring solace if one decide to be a “Law Breaker” in the present system of Governance. We as a Nation take pride to break law, law abider is called “Stupid” and Tactless”.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Attached is another order of the Tripura State Information Commission allowing disclosure of ACR. It is dated October 2008.

Name:
    NK Agarwal
    Blog Entries

Thanks Mr. Karira for posting the Tripura State IC decision.
    It is one more milestone, hopefully many of the myths that some members have on the subject would be dispelled.

Name:
    Ravindrakumar Maheshwari

Thanks Sirs,

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android