Poll: Should Annual Confidential Report of Officials be disclosed under RTI?

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Irrespective of what is in the Official Secrets Acts or various Rulings on RTI, an officer should get an opportunity to see and acknowlege his ACR soon after its initiation. This give him an opportunity to know as to what his seniors think of him and give an opportunity make an effort to improve his weak areas . Further it prevent the Seniors from misusing their powers to write ACR. When they know that it has to be shown, the Initiating Officers andReviewing Officers will be forced behave and write only truth. One has to be too clean to write an adverse ACR or give a flase report. Intention of ACR should be an instrument to appraise the oficer his performance from time to time giving him adequate opportunity to improve his performance

› Find content similar to: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Here is the latest on Confidential Reports:

The appellant sought for copies of his Confidential Reports for the period from 1999. The CPIO, applying the provisions of Section 8(1) (j) declined to furnish the information and the AA also upheld the said decision.

In a number of Decisions, this Commission has taken the view that confidential reports are exempt from disclosure. Therefore, I uphold the decisions of the CPIO/AA and dismiss the appeal.

Decision No. 906/ICPB/2007 dated 17/09/2007 on Appeal from Mr. P. Kesava Murthy Vs Life Insurance Corporation of India

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

ACR should be disclosed only to the concerned under normal rules; but not under RTI. When the person concerned has seen his ACR and signed it in acknowledgement,where is the question of asking for it under RTI. Anyway the ACR of a person cannot be placed under public domain.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Dear forum friends,
    I have studied so many rules regulations and statuary enactments. I want to express a bad experience that 80% of officers do not having knowledge of rules regulations. You may conduct a survey how many officers knows the full ACR form. What is needed to fill up in ACR`s. I am the person who recently passed the CA (inter) exam and you may my ACR where the column of knowledge of rules and regulations will show you only very good. The person who is having very less knowledge is also getting very good. So many points I may present in this regards and If the contract emploment will start in Govt. what will be scenerion we will see.
    Maharshi Rajnish was in favour of tranparency in sexual life but I am a supporter of transparency in economic life.
    "In my opinion every financial activity must be transparent and open"

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

For obtaining the desired data the question need framing in a different way. Disclosure of contents of ACR and its disclosure under RTI is entirely different. If it is brought under RTI, a Class IV employee can ask for copy of the ACR of the Principal Secretary of his Department. Do you advice such disclosure. The aspects of showing the ACR to the concerned was examined many times by higher achelons scientifically. Even in Army it used to be shown when I joined. Later it was stopped expect the adverse remarks. When I left 20 years back not only it is shown; but one could walk into Army HQs and ask his relative performance and could be readily available in Computers. At that time, it was possible to know as to where one stand for promotions as per ACRs. I defenitely maintain that except the persons concerned others have no business to know the contents of ACRs of others

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Every action of public authority must be transparent and justified. East India Company is no more our Govt. So many persons trying to make Govt as East India Comany once again. I am ready to discuss any one who favour secrecy of ACR`s. For higher salaries, arbitrary working, differntial behaviour, using business sence, foreign visits, use of luxirious and many more every citizen is free to do his own business or profession having freedom for trade or employment under article 19 of constitution.
    "Please do not allow the public post to use any one his own interest".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    Dear forum friends,
    I have studied so many rules regulations and statuary enactments. I want to express a bad experience that 80% of officers do not having knowledge of rules regulations. You may conduct a survey how many officers knows the full ACR form. What is needed to fill up in ACR`s. I am the person who recently passed the CA (inter) exam and you may my ACR where the column of knowledge of rules and regulations will show you only very good. The person who is having very less knowledge is also getting very good. So many points I may present in this regards and If the contract emploment will start in Govt. what will be scenerion we will see.
    Maharshi Rajnish was in favour of tranparency in sexual life but I am a supporter of transparency in economic life.
    "In my opinion every financial activity must be transparent and open"
    sngupta, it is not enough if you declare for yourself that you are knowledgeable and that the others are not. everyone's performance has to be evaluated by someone senior. and in ACRs evaluation is not in absolute numbers. it is something like grading where 90% to 100% falls in one grade irrespective of whether someone gets 90% or 100%.

sorry to say but i simply couldn't understand what the lines in red had in common with the subject of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    For higher salaries, arbitrary working, differntial behaviour, using business sence, foreign visits, use of luxirious and many more every citizen is free to do his own business or profession having freedom for trade or employment under article 19 of constitution.
    "Please do not allow the public post to use any one his own interest".
    red colour again.
    and i thought we were discussing ACRs!

i feel that the ACRs in the present form should not be subject to RTI. the individual employee should definitely have the option of inspection of this ACRs just like he can inspect his service book but a third party should not have the right to inspect his ACRs. And even if it is decided someday that ACRs should be made public, it should only be with prospective effect and not retrospective effect. when i had written ACRs of my subordinates i had the assurance that they would remain confidential.

and yes, it makes a lot of difference when an officer knows that his evaluation would be made public one day. anyone who had ever written an ACR would appreciate this fact.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ok Mr Chanda S,
    When we are talkng about disclosure of ACR`s some one not of opinion that ACR`s may not be allowed to inspected to others. Here it is necessary to mention that article 14, 15, 16 of Constitution provides us right against arbitrary actions, differential treament. If the disclosure of ACR`s will not be allowed how any person can know the assessment of immediate superior in different situation. Whether he is giving good marks to a spoon or a knowledge base working. Some time may be one officer working very good but assessment of his superior is not allowed due assessment due to having another officer who is nearer relative of higher officer.
    You mentioned that you want ACR written by you must be secret. Your this view shows that either you fear with your subordinate or you are not in position to say openly what you have done. We must work like a 'khuli kitab' and we must have a calibre to say openly what we have made earlier. So many our country person is saying that RTI may stop corruption. What is base of this thinking of all wisdom person. They knows that secrecy is root cause of curruption. Some recent examples may make you more clear.
    1. Mrs kiran Bedi who is very senior officer could not be promoted on the post of police Commissioner New Delhi and she asked the reason for the same.
    2. Our present foreign secretary promoted to overriding the chance of some other collegue and same have been challenged.
    3. When one can be shown marks for his answer book and answer book of others then why we are not interested to open the evaluation made for working of any person. No dobout in school now so many parents complaining less marks to his child but teachers are bounded to open marks of every one. May be in future teachers will show their incapability to open marks.
    Actually a very big subject is under discussion to our Govt that "Brain Drain"
    I mentioning a story here that I was an operator before some days having capibilities than an operator but I was bound to obey to my seniors because I was not as per my capabilities. On passing the exam now I am Accounts Officer and so many persons who was boses at the time of my operator are having the same post. Now there is no futher exam in organisation. I took a chance to appear in CA exam and cleared the same. I am not claiming that I am only person who is intelligent. I mention only 80%. Secondly on sitting so many distance from me you reacted that the action of my immediate superior is correct. If persons like you says that Govt is running well and every officer is doing well then there is no need of RTI. You may think why the demand of TRANSPARENCY and ACCOUNTABILITY is increased day by day. The reason is that work of Govt officers is not transparent and non of the accountable in Govt. This is a discussion if you feel other wise please forget it. You are presenting your feeling and I am presenting my feeling. If we may think the views of others the problem will be solved and we may make a society with happiness.
    Last edited by ganpat1956; 16-10-07 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Archaic expression substituted to maintain the dignity of the foum