Topic Identifier

Poll: Should Annual Confidential Report of Officials be disclosed under RTI?

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

1. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post

You mentioned that you want ACR written by you must be secret. Your this view shows that either you fear with your subordinate or you are not in position to say openly what you have done. We must work like a 'khuli kitab' and we must have a calibre to say openly what we have made earlier.
    There are finer things to life and being part of Govt than ‘fear’, ‘saying things openly’ etc. There are some concepts of man management which you will perhaps learn as you grow up in your organisation. There are things done in sheer good faith. There are concepts of trust between the boss and the employee which may be difficult for you to spot as you seem to be stuck with the notion that 80% of your officers are not knowledgeable. No guesses for what your subordinates-when you’ll have them, think of you; 80% or 20%. This trust is based on a lot of things. Once it is broken because of whatever reason, there will be chaos in the organisation.
    <o> </o>
    ACRs are written by senior officers who have seen the working of an employee from close quarters. There are a lot of things in the present form of ACRs that cannot really be quantified. Which means there is an ample scope for interpretation and personal preferences in good faith. Any sane thinking person will agree that whenever there is no quantification of parameters involved there is bound to be discontent among the affected people over performance evaluation as it is human tendency to feel that one is always correct and that others are always wrong. Perhaps you qualify to be more human than many on this count.
    <o> </o>
    Another point that should be realised is that adverse remarks in ACRs are invariably communicated to the employee. Otherwise the reporting authority himself would get a remark in his own ACR. When the Govt appointed someone as the reporting authority of a set of employees, one’s job is to report on the performance of all of them in that year confidentially. Yes that’s what the point is. The reporting officer is asked to do a job with a certain degree of confidentiality. And whatever report he submitted is with this assumption. That’s the trust between the Govt, the reporting authority and the employee. One can’t wish away this trust just like that.
    <o> </o>
    It’s a good idea to make transparent the entire process of performance evaluation. But then the reporting authorities have to be told this before hand. They would then be more diplomatic than forthcoming in their assessment. I as a responsible officer would never want my employees to think that I rate some of them higher and some lower. I would definitely try to help them come out of their limitations and improve the performance of the team as a whole. But when its time for performance evaluation any reporting authority would require the confidence that his report would not be made public. The depth of the issue can be understood only by understanding the complete process of performance evaluation in government, employer-employee relations in the Govt and the ACR form itself.
    <o> </o>
    I firmly believe that information is not an end in itself. Information is a means. An end is something that is determined by each according to his mentality. And ends need to justify the means.

2. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

The smilies in the above post are not intentional. sorry about that.

3. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">The ACR of govt. servants is not on;y a document to avluate the performance of the officer but also a tool to find out areas where the officer needs to be developed and groomed and improve upon his or her shortcomings. In order to be effective it should be a mutual exercise between the reporting offficer and the reported officer. Therfore there is no question of hiding it .It should be a transparent exercise. If an offficer has 5 good gradings he /she may not be promoted to sAG grade without knowing the shortcomings or getting an oppurtunity to improve.
    The ACR should however not be made available to another person
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Quote Originally Posted by smnislam View Post
    <table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr unselectable="on" width="100%" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">The ACR of govt. servants is not on;y a document to avluate the performance of the officer but also a tool to find out areas where the officer needs to be developed and groomed and improve upon his or her shortcomings. In order to be effective it should be a mutual exercise between the reporting offficer and the reported officer. Therfore there is no question of hiding it .It should be a transparent exercise. If an offficer has 5 good gradings he /she may not be promoted to sAG grade without knowing the shortcomings or getting an oppurtunity to improve.
    The ACR should however not be made available to another person
    </td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Agree totally.
    If a subordinates performance is poor or certain areas are weak, he needs to be told and informed. Otherwise how will he ever know where or what areas need improvement.
    Similarly, if his reports are good, he should also be told...this will motivate him further.
    Why is a 3rd person interested at all in the evaluation process ?

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

It is unlekely to have a clarification better than those given by Mr.smnislam and Mr.karira.

6. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">yesterday i posted my views on the need for making the ACR known to the reported officer.The thread is now missing.
    can it be retrieved
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Dear smnislam,
    I find your views under post no.35 in this thread and also in post no.36 quoted by karira. Are you refering to any other post of yours that is missing?
    Last edited by ganpat1956; 17-10-07 at 07:00 PM.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Dear Shri S. Chanda,
    Any sane thinking person will agree that whenever there is no quantification of parameters involved there is bound to be discontent among the affected people over performance evaluation as it is human tendency to feel that one is always correct and that others are always wrong. Perhaps you qualify to be more human than many on this count.
    The views expressed by you is appreciable and correct view we need to use by every responsible officer. Especially quoted above. We need para meters to be fixed for ACR`s. Not only ACRS but also every thing so that we may work withour fear. This RTI will make the society more systemetic. May be RTI will be use full to save indian cirizen from unjustice.
    Sir,
    I want to express here a very good experience.
    My son is studying in a school and it is the arrangment of school that we may go through the answer sheet on declaring the results. My son is topper of school and secured 96&#37; in CBSE secondary exam. If this kind of person getting any mistake in evaluation of his answer sheets any one can surprise. Every time my son is noticing to evalutor and got marks corrected in school level exam. You think that a person of such exellency is not getting any attention of evalutors. This all are happening due to negligency. this is big problem that accountability is no more In our country after independence. If only accountability is being fixed in our coutry and if there are any agency to look to with accountability we may support the secrecy of ACR`s. There are so many weaknesses of human being which is creating so many hurdles in life of a common man so that we demanded RTI.
    Sir, This is my ultimate view that ACR`s are only evaluation of the work of subordnates like the work of evaluator of exam, umpire or match referee in games and there is no problem to disclose it.
    This is my slogan " Job with justification" This is real need of systemetic society.
    <o></o>

Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android