Topic Identifier

Poll: Should Annual Confidential Report of Officials be disclosed under RTI?

Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5152535455565758 LastLast

Thread: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Name:
    NK Agarwal
    Blog Entries

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Lot of water has already flown down the thread.
    PL. go through the thread.
    thanks

2. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Quote Originally Posted by koteswararaonerella View Post
    ACRs (Annual Confidential Reports as the nomenclature suggests contains"CONFIDETIAL INFORMATION" and therefore cannot be disclosed under Official Secrets Act(EXEMPTED CATEGORY) Further it should be clear to all that half of the form is filled by the official as SELF APPRAISAL and the remainng half by the REPORTING OFFICER (IMMEDIATE SUPERIOR) and his boss (REVEIWING OFFICER) If there are an ADVERSE ENTRIES it will be communicated to the official by giving xerox copy of COMPLETE CR to enable him to APPEAL.
    You have posted this comment, without actually going through the complete thread and latest developments, decision of Hon'ble Supreme Court of India, subsequent directives issued by DoPT, including suo moto supply of copy of respective APAR to officers reported upon etc.

There is no document called "Annual Confidential Reports" in any Government Department at present. The nomenclature has been changed from ACR to APAR (Annual Performance Appraisal Report), which is not confidnetial at all to the officer reported upon. All these material are available in this thread.

May I request you to go through the complete thread and get acquainted with the latest developments on the subject matter.
    Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते

3. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

This request applies to all those new members who reply to a particular query, for reading the entire previous posts in the entire thread, as value addition is important while providing replies to new members, as it reflects on authentic information/guided provided in forum as well; as other forums which are envious may think that members are increasing the posts to show more posts.

4. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.N. Prasad View Post
    This request applies to all those new members who reply to a particular query, for reading the entire previous posts in the entire thread, as value addition is important while providing replies to new members, as it reflects on authentic information/guided provided in forum as well; as other forums which are envious may think that members are increasing the posts to show more posts.
    Raveena Sir,
    I am aware about both ACR and APAR as I myself was a govt.officer and has written both of them myself and wrote for others. The APAR and the difference in both is that in the first one the officia has NO ROLE and it all done by the REPORTING OFFICER while in APAR part of the APAR (SELF APPRAISAL) portion will be filled by the official/officer himself and rest will be by his boss.The latest Circular on APARs was in 2010 pursuant to the SC judgement. I am aware in 2006 the CIC ruled that this APAR disclosure will come under sec.8(1)(j) Tapas Dutta Vs IOC.I have not seen any SC judgement against this CIC decision and if there is one I will definetely update myself

Name:
    MANOJ B. PATEL (Krushnanand)
    Blog Entries

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Quote Originally Posted by rkshukla View Post
    The sobordinate is always communicated if remarks are adverse. Why others should be given the personal information.ACR is no doubt should be beyond RTI
    I agree with R/RK Shuklaji, it is the perfect and complete comments which covered whole discussion. In Gujarat State there are two system, ACR and Self Apraisal Report.
    If you do not ask, you do not get.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Please go through the complete thread, before making comments. The entire scheme of ACR/APAR is covered in this thread. It is the decision of Hon'ble Apex Court that ACR/APAR should be disclosed to the employee concerned and not to any other person. DoPT had accordingly issued comprehensive instructions to all ministries and departments to give copy of ACR/APAR to all concerned employees. In Central Govt, the APARs of Group-A & B officers are uploaded in their departmental website and can be opened only by the employee concerned by using allotted user ID and password. In many deptts, the APARs of subordinate employees are not being supplied to concerned employee. In such cases, they invoke the provisions of RTI to get the copy(s) of their APAR.

APAR may have many parts such as Part-I, Part-II, Part-III etc depending upon the level of officer reported upon. Self-Appraisal is one of these parts of APAR - mostly Part-I is personal data and Part-II is Self Appraisal. As the new nomenclature Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APAR) itself speaks about the nature of the report.

In Self appraisal, an officer is required assess and write down his own performance with respect to the target laid down or the target set forth by himself and its achievements as well as shortfall and reasons for shortfall. There is a column in the reporting part whether Reporting Officer agree with the self assessment made by the officer reported and thus the self-appraisal is evaluated by Reporting Officer.

Name:
    NK Agarwal
    Blog Entries

Lot has already been written about disclosure of ACRs/APARs', there should not be any confusion anymore on its disclosure.

I would just like to add that in case of ACR's for Group A and B officers in Central Govt. services, the officer has to write self appraisal and the cycle gets completed through reporting officer-reviewing officer-accepting officer and adverse communication, if any. In case of APARs too, the officer concerned writes the self appraisal and the reporting officer comments and gives his/her assessment which is then given back to the officer concerned to make a representation should he decides to make one within a stipulated time frame and before the APARs reaches finality. The APARs reaches finality only after communication of any adverse comments/assessment and disposal of any representation preferred by the concerned officer.

This was not the case in ACR, there was scope of manipulation by the reporting officer at the reporting stage itself.

Now we have also to understand by disclosure of ACRís/APARís, what we are really talking of, disclosure to the concerned individual to whom the ACRís/APARís belong or to others?

My understanding of the Honíble SC order for disclosure is for the individuals to whom the ACRís/APARs belongs. I think others have to make a case that indeed a public interest serves in disclosure of the same.

I may add that ACRs process has been replaced by APARs now.

8. Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

The Original Apex Court judgment was with respect to ACR. Nomenclature changed from ACR to APAR in post supreme court judgment implementation stage. DoPT had issued instructions to disclose ACRs prior to SC judgement and asked officers to submit representations against BBM grading. The SC judgment as well as all relevant circulars are available in this thread. Please go through the entire thread, before posting comments.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android