Poll: Should Annual Confidential Report of Officials be disclosed under RTI?

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Since the main object of the RTI Act is to promote transparency and accountability, then what is the harm in the disclosure of ACRs. There is no dearth of the officers, who give more weight-age to the buttering / flattery and personal liking etc. than the working, sincerity, efficiency and honesty etc. of their subordinates, while writing the ACRs. Only such officers will be exposed with the disclosure of the ACRs. If, the supervisory officers write the ACRs of their sub-ordinates with honesty, then they need not to be embarrassed. Moreover, in the Government sector, there are no rewards for working with honesty and dedications and atleast good remarks in the ACRs will keep them motivated to work with sincerity. The senior officers will also write the ACRs with much care, when they are aware that their remarks are likely to be disclosed. The other important point is that the noting portion of the files are disclosed, which also contain the remarks of various officers and such disclosure may cause much embarrassment as decisions taken on files have wider implications. When the noting portion can be disclosed, what is the harm in disclosure of the ACRs?

› Find content similar to: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

[quote=chanda_s;6045]It’s a good idea to make transparent the entire process of performance evaluation. But then the reporting authorities have to be told this before hand. They would then be more diplomatic than forthcoming in their assessment.

This is the problem. when a person knows that his remarks are going to be disclosed, he behaves differently. The performance of a sub-ordinate should be evaluated on the basis of his performance only and not on the basis of the fact as to whether the remarks are to be disclosed or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Disclosures of Annual Confidential Reports (ACR) comes under Official Secret Act

I think, the Punjab Information Commission in its landmark decision has set at rest the controversy to some extent. The full bench has decided that the copies of the ACRs can be provided to the applicant. The decision has been delivered on 5th November, 2007 and is available on the website of the Punjab Information Commission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The decision of the Punjab State Information Commission is available on the following thread :
    ACRs can be accessed : Punjab State Information Commission

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The 2 views expressed by vashisthvivek dated28/10 appear to be at variance. may like to clarify

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dear smnislam,
    I think the confusion has arisen from the first para of post at 10.59PM. The first para is not my view and I have just quoted the view of somebody else. In the second para, I have expressed my opinion on the quoted view. Even if, you think there is any variance, please kindly point out, so that the matter can be clarified.
    thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dear mr vashishtvivek,
    i fully endorse ur views that ACR should be disclosed. As far as the manner is concerned there may be no. of ways and states of mind for making the disclosuere. some element of subjectivity will always remain in writing acr but the very fact that the writer knows that transparency will lead to a scrutiny of his/ her judgement shall propell the writer into being as objective and forthcoming as possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks a lot.

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast