Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

inactive State Information Commissions

We do have a wonderful Act, lot of sincere Actiovists; but inactive State Information Commissions. The condition in Kerala is pathetic. The SIC has a perfect infrastructure with 4 Commissioners including its chief, an army of staff and excellent centrally aircomditioned office etc. Second appeal/complaints dating back March 2005 still remain unacknowledged. Even my 25 cases are pending with them. . A prompt feed back does not make any effect on them. They do not hold any hearing outside their HQs. The list is too long. Can you kindly advice as to my further cource of action ?

› Find content similar to: inactive State Information Commissions

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: inactive State Information Commissions

West Bengal and Kerala have a few things in common and an inactive State Commission and indifferent PIOs appear to be some of them. In respect of West Bengal, the Governor has taken some initiative and has sought a report from the SIC, based on a flurry of complaints form the citizens over the commission's failure to provide information. The following thread will provide you some idea about it. Data panel asked for facts-Governor frowns on flurry of complaints against RTI flaws .

Taking a cue from this, I suggest that you may prefer a complaint directly to the Governor of your state since he is the appointing-authority of the SIC.

As Ganpat rightly said, by running aways probles cant be solved...In fact by running away one is helping such State RTI offices...

And we appreciate that you are not one of them and we also aplaud your trust on us....

And we would be obliged to guide you in the most possible manner as Mr ganpat has done....

You can alway complaint the highet authority from Governor to the President and even to the CIC ....

But with patience , perseverance and confident motivation

That Truth is in the end ..but it does not end...(By Self)

Good luck

Another option, to make the SIC behave, is to file a writ in the High Court. I know it is not easy but it is one of the few options available. High Court has the power to direct the SIC to decide the pending cases. If the SIC fails to do so, they could be held in contempt of court.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Ihave complained to His ExcellencttheGovernor ofKeralaascorrectly sugggested by you. I spoketo theSecretry toGovernor also on phone. Let us wait for the result. I am optimes

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

colnrkurup,

Please keep all members updated on the progress of your complaint to the Governor of Kerala. If the result is positive, many members will be encouraged to use similar steps to "activate and wake up" their own state SIC's.

AS advised by Karira...Do keep us motivated...

And even in case the things are in negative....Do share the wound...

We all would try to heal and fight it back

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

The painful part isthat the media in Kerala is silent. They throw away even the pleas made for publication in their 'letters to editor columns'. After reading various comments of mine from various forums junior journalists do approach me. When I suggest them to consult their management before plunging into any adventures or quotting me on RTI experiences, they vanish in thin air. . It is too clear that the media need helps from the bureaucrates for their survival. Strenghening the RTI is not the liking of such bureaucrates and amount to deepening the graves of corrupt bureaucratees. The immediate need is to get more media coverage which I find too difficult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast