Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

1. Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

Good Luck Karira

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

Probe manipulation of marksheet: Chief Secretary told
    Monday August 13 2007 01:55 IST
    <SMALL>BHUBANESWAR: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has asked Chief Secretary Ajit Kumar Tripathy to probe into the alleged manipulation of matric marksheet of School and Mass Education Minister Bishnu Charan Das's son.

The Chief Minister told a private television channel here on Saturday that he has already directed the Chief Secretary to enquire into the case of the Minister's son and other applications pending with the Board of Secendary Education for revision of marks.

Already under cloud for alleged manoeuvring of matric marksheet of his son Bijay Sankar Das, the cup of woes of the School and Mass Education Minister has further aggravated with the opposition Congress demanding his resigantion.

Addressing a media conference here, the Minister clarified that his son was surprised to notice the unusually higher marks awarded to him in some papers. Although he had not done well in Oriya language paper, he was awarded 89 marks.

The Minister said he advised his son to apply for revaluation of the answer paper and a revised marksheet. His son applied for rechecking of Oriya paper on June 1 and for revised marksheet on June 7.

On retabulation of marks, it came to the notice that his son has been awarded 89 in Oirya while he has scored 39. Similarly, has been given 10 marks more in Science paper-1 (50 instead of 40) and 20 marks more in geography (65 instead of 40).

While the Minister's son had secured 602 in the orginal marksheet, after retabulation it was revised to 478 marks. The difference is a cool 124 marks.

Claiming that this is the first time in the history of the BSE that a student has applied for downward revision of marks, the Minister regretted that a different colour is being given to the episode.

However, the Minister failed to provide a suitable reply when asked how his son's case was immediately disposed of by the BSE when more than 8000 applications for rechecking of marks are pending.

The Minister denied that divesting the additional charge of the BSE president from Debendra Mishra, director, Mass Education has any link with his son case.</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEQ20070811135726&Title=ORISSA&rLink=0</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>Hoepfully this will convince those who do not want marks to be revealed.</SMALL>

3. Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

<o></o>@Abhinav
    Please refer back to my previous thread post where my query was:
    Can I implement RTI Act to get information from a Management Institute about the major and minor specialization subjects in MBA of any student of a specific session?

Later in the same thread I elaborated the query and mentioned “I need the information because I fear that the person has adopted unfair means in getting a departmental promotion and thus circumvented the eligibility criteria laid down by the department.”

However you have started the thread as if I want information about some other person’s marks in a university examination. Furthermore you mentioned that I doubt “a servant who he says have got his examination passed through some unfair means”. Did I say this anywhere in my posts?

I can’t resist this opportunity of telling a very small story which you may be of your liking.

The top level management of a soap factory was in a great problem faced by the production department. During automated packaging of the soaps, some wrappers went out packaged without the soap inside. The problem was more or less like the release of a few blank pages when a number of pages are fed for printing in a printer. Various plans were chalked, brain storming sessions went on. Even high costly sophisticated gadgets were designed for quality control. Some gadgets weighed each packaged soap as they were released to trace out any empty package. Some used rays to scan the packages to verify if it that got the content. The production manager was happy and on a fine morning went to the production floor with the team of technocrats to install the gadgets.
    A semi-skilled labour commented "Cannon for mosquito?” He simply installed a stand fan facing the production belt (the belt on which the soaps come out in a line after being packaged). The empty packages were blown away and the rightly packed ones stayed back.

Moral: THINK SIMPLE
    Last edited by linardni; 14-08-07 at 03:21 PM.

4. Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

There is a fact and not a story ....and it has no moral ...its is self moral ful..

"Do well and throw in well"

Thanks but no Thanks

And Ba-Bye

5. Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

I am reminded of another Management story:
    US designed a pen for astronauts, that can work without the gravity, it was an enormous efforts and billions were spent on research of the Pen that can run on space.

You know what Cosmonauts (Russian) did: They used the Pencil instead

6. Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

Well said Kushal Sir,

Once a russian always a russian

Once a pencil twice a pencil

7. Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

This post is in reply to the story of manipulation of marks of son of Education Minister Bishnu Charan Das.

The basic question is whether the system is so corrupt in India that the privacy interest of an individual are not as important as the benefit to society by disclosure of answer papers, marks, ACRs, etc., etc., of third party individuals?

Some will say yes, others might say no. The RTI act gives considerable power to ICs, to release private information if it has public benefit. I think we are a long way from having a uniform policy on this issue. So some ICs are allowing disclosure and others are not. This question has to decided by the Parliament, or the Supreme Court.

Satish Gupta

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Can we ask for any other individuals marks from university under RTI Act

Quote Originally Posted by Satish Gupta View Post

The basic question is whether the system is so corrupt in India that the privacy interest of an individual are not as important as the benefit to society by disclosure of answer papers, marks, ACRs, etc., etc., of third party individuals?

Satish Gupta
    Satish,
    You have raised two very fundamental questions:

1. Should we choose between the Devil and the Deep sea or between the
    Frying pan and the Fire ?
    2. Who will decide what we choose ?

We all know at what pace things move in Parliament (due to vested inetrests) or in the Courts (due to huge backlogs).
    Till then, we have to go on "testing" the "limits" of the RTI Act and push the envelope a little bit further everytime.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast