Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    23 Post(s)
    2 Thread(s)
    16 Post(s)

Justice through RTI to 90 year old lady in getting her Passport

New Delhi: Krishna Devi Jhalani's grouse was that her application for renewal of passport was not processed for more than eight months.
    Fed up with the attitude of the Regional Passport Office, she knocked at the doors of the Central Information Commission (CIC).
    In an important judgement, the CIC directed the Ministry of External Affiars to take strict action against the Regional Passport Officer and said that the passport be given to Jhalani within 15 days.
    This brought a smile on the face of this 90-year-old. "I am happy that I will be getting the passport and I welcome the decision," says Jhalani, the appellant.
    This was a case of gross injustice to an elderly person, which the CIC has tried to correct. Infact, even the Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah has spoken out strongly against the manner in which this 90-year-old woman was dealt with.
    "Sensitivity needs to be shown. It is not just in this case, but in others as well where we have enjoined upon the public authority to show greater sensitivity to those who need it," says Habibullah.
    The CIC has also issued a show cause to the RPO questioning as to why a penalty of Rs 250 per day should not be imposed for the period of delay.

› Find content similar to: Justice through RTI to 90 year old lady in getting her Passport

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    1 Post(s)

I believe with passage of time this type of situation will not arise as the officals will realise that they are responsible for there actions under RTI.
    Long live RTI.

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android