Thread: Info panel ‘shielding’ erring officials

Info panel ‘shielding’ erring officials

Fatehgarh Sahib,September 15
    The State Information Commission (SIC), constituted to check the violation of the Right to Information Act (RTI) by government officials and to penalise erring bureaucrats, has itself been accused of shielding officers who have failed to provide information under the law.

G.S. Swadeshi, a retired government official, has alleged that the commission, instead of penalising the officials of the Sirhindi-Fatehgarh Sahib municipal council who had withheld the information sought by him, had refused to take action against them.

Swadeshi stated that the council took over four years to approve the building plans of the house that he wanted to construct.

Disheartened by the unprecedented delay, he sought information from the council under the RTI asking them to explain the delay in approving the building plans.

He said in spite of repeated attempts, the council did not provide information for at least five months and even the answers that were finally given were unsatisfactory.

He decided to approach the SIC seeking action against the council officials who allegedly withheld the information.

“Though the information I asked for was to be provided within the stipulated 30-day period, the council took five months in violation of the RTI,” he said.

After holding several hearings into the case, the SIC refused to penalise the council officials on grounds that the complainant was not present for the last hearing and it was presumed that he was satisfied with the information provided to him.

Swadeshi, however, claimed that he could not attend the hearing due to some exigency and in spite of having informed the SIC in advance, this was not taken into account by the commission.

While he asked the commission to reconsider its decision, the SIC asked him to file a fresh petition in this regard.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Info panel ‘shielding’ erring officials

I still could not understand the reason behind the ICs insisting appearance of the appallent for hearing. In fact it is redundant. Whatever the grounds for theappeal the appellant had projected in his appeals. Only when the respondent dispute any of the claims or grounds of the appellant, the ICs should seek clarifications supported by evidence from the appellant. The Ics should take a decision of giving or not giving the information purely based on the contents of the appeals and clarifications. Whenever there is any contradictions, in these evidences only the requirement of attendenceof appellant arise. TheCIC andSICs should understand that they are not court and not deciding the merrit of any issues. When an appellant had asked for an information under RTI Act, the ICs job is to check whether it is an information falling under Sections 2 and 4(1)(d) of the Act. If so he has to see whether it is held by the respondent and does not fall under the exempted sections. When all these are satisfied the dealings should be between the PIO/AA and ICs only . The ICs have to ask the respondent either justify the denial or give the information. How does he fit the Appellant into this?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whether the AAO who is shielding should be punished or not?

Quote Originally Posted by hkdubey View Post
    Whether the AAO who is shielding should be punished or not?
    Hemant, you have been successful in digging up one more news thread from the archives. But where is the mention of AAO in my original post?
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Name:
    Ashok Ku. Mishra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    Hemant, you have been successful in digging up one more news thread from the archives. But where is the mention of AAO in my original post?
    I was also surprised to see the AAO(in the post of Mr.Dubey)We should be very careful while giving comment, isnt it.
    Fight for the Right.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    Sorry Ganpat it is typing mistake I mean it FAA??

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android