8 27.59%
  • Increased

1 3.45%
  • Too early to say

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: India less Corruption now

Thumbs up India less Corruption now

India has improved its position in the comity of nations in terms of integrity as it is ranked 72 among 180 countries in the corruption index this year, Transparency International has said.

It was at the 70th position among 163 countries last year.

Accordingly, India's integrity index has marginally improved to 3.5 in 2007 from 3.3 a year ago on a scale of 10 points, TI said in a report released today.

India's rank at 72 in corruption index is also shared by China, Mexico, Morocco and Peru. Pakistan is way down at 138th position. Denmark, Finland and New Zealand are the least corrupt countries, which jointly top the list with integrity index of 9.4 points each.

So good news and RTI has to be given enough credit for the same

and so rtiindia.org

(Source-Times of India)

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: India less Corruption now

I find it litle dificult to swallow what TI has served. Either their survey was not targetted at the right groups or the result is politically manipulated. As I had mentioned earlier, the style or modus operandii of corruption or bribe is now changed drastically while the TI may be following their hitherto practiced method. For example, now-a-days the system of demanding bribe across the table by the bureaucracy and by politicians is nor more in vogue. This doesnot mean that none of them are accepting bribe. Had the TI Surveyors had at least come to Kerala(Trivandrum - a district identified as the most corrupt) within last one year or followed Hon'ble Laluji, or looked into how the CPI(M) has amassed so much wealth they would not have framed such a result. Since our CIC and SICs have no intention of making the RTI Act a deterrant, how can it affect the corruption ?

Very Well Said COl Kurup

But than we need to be happy some way

Motivation is more important for Indians thn merely purist reality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Far , It Has Not Reduced The Corruption .. Because It Is In Our Blood. When A Poorest Man (or Illiterate) Of India Will Use This Weapon... Then Only It Will Start Woking . Pubilicity Of This Act Is Required With Speedy Redressal Machinery. The Breach Of The Provisions Of This Act... Should Be Treated As Criminal Act And Not A Civil One. Instead Of Mere Penalty ... Punishments Like Imprisonment Should Be Tehre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Sanjay that we need awareness about RTI to reach the common man and i suppose RTI clinics are doing that. However, i dont think imprisonment is going to be effective or even practical for that matter. We've already got a problem of overcrowding in our prisons.

I'm hard pressed to think what could possibly be a sufficient deterrent for Govt officials who don't comply with the law. Its obvious they don't fear much or they wouldn't be so openly incompetent.
    One idea that comes to mind is - What if, govt officials who are guilty of corruption and have been proved of the same, lose their right to 'free housing' or some such benefit they get as govt employees? Do you think thats a viable option????
    Vasudha

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The penalties stipulated in Section 20(1) and 20(2) of the RTI Act are much more than adequate. For most of the Public servants living on shoe-string budget, a penalty of Rs.25,00/-is very deterrant. In additon to, if he is recommended for discipliniary action under the service rules applicable to him as stipulated in Section 20(2) he is doomed. The only problem is that it is not implimented by their old comrades at arms.

THE HITHERTO VOTE have pointed out that the verdict is fractured on the issue with majority supporting two distinct options i.e. Partly and Too early to say.

Experts comments pl come in , WHY we are So UNSURE about RTI being credited for reducing Corruption in India.

Half trust is more dangerous thn no belief

I totally agree with Sanjeev.This should reach the common man of india , who is only worrying about his next day meal....He should understand he deserves much for being the citizen of india.Empowering the rural community with the guts to question against corruption and demand for his rights and previliges will resolve corruption in india...

"the mass should start questioning government and public authorities"

Its a good start...Corruption is deep rooted and became more tolerable in the 60 yrs of free india.It will atleast take a decade for us to shake its roots and kill it

Hope India Foundation
    Chennai

Transforming India through Transforming Individuals

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android