Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Legislature should insulate RTI from being misused

Legislature should insulate RTI from being misused

NEW DELHI: The legislature should take steps to insulate the Right to Information Act from being misused by people facing inquiries and investigations, the Central Information Commission (CIC) has said.

The Commission's observation came after the Income Tax office expressed its disgust over Mumbai resident S P Goyal, who has filed numerous RTI applications with the department, leading to substantial diversion of its resources and also affecting its functioning.

The department contended that Goyal, who is facing inquiries by IT authorities, has been blatantly misusing the provisions of the transparency law by filing multiple and repetitive pleas so as to harass its officers and sabotage the investigations pending against him.

"I am afraid I am not in a position to provide to the respondents (IT authorities) the type of relief they are soliciting. The RTI Act provides hardly any room for manoeuvre in such matters," Information Commissioner A N Tiwari said.

Expressing its inability to contain such purported misuse of the legislation, it further said "unless the legislature steps in and make some provision to bar motivated action by persons facing inquiries and investigations, the public authorities will have to grin and bear the burden."

The Commission which was hearing three separate RTI pleas of Gokhale seeking disclosure of certain file notings, disposed of the applications after concurring with the department's view that the applicant had not filed his application in a format, as stipulated under the provisions of the RTI Act.

Challenging the very maintainability of the RTI requests, the IT department said that Gokhale had not signed his applications in his own name, while further failing to certify the name of the authorised signatory.

While accepting the department's contention on issue of maintanibility of the information requests, the Commission said that Gokhale has failed to put up his application as per the provisions of the RTI Act.

"It was disingenuous for the applicant to argue that all rights were his, whereas all responsibilities were that of the repondents (IT department)," Tiwari said, adding that his applications were not within the ambit of law.

Legislature should insulate RTI from being misused- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

› Find content similar to: Legislature should insulate RTI from being misused

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Legislature should insulate RTI from being misused

I am very surprised to read your opinion to insulate the RTI from misused. I am very sorry to say if a person want to touch the highest limit and these limit is just above a man he will immediately touch the heights. How a person may misused the RTI whenever every action of public authority must be transparent and accountability may be ensured on every action of public servant. The public authorities intetionally making publication of misuse to avoid the RTI. If 10 papers is in file a person may ask the photocopy of these 10 papers. whenever he has got photocopy of these 10 papers what he can ask further. I think you are not aware the work of Govt. Officers. they are treating indian public like a dog. Even the behaviour of Mr. Ansari Hon`able Information Commissioner is not good. Whenever I made complaint to him for expenditure in travelling and time waste. He said me I have no concerned to this. In so many offices no one is giving respect to indian public. Please interact with me if you feel free on this subject and share my experience. If you want real experience please visit any office of Govt as general public for your work completed you will see the actual situation of country.

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    I am very surprised to read your opinion to insulate the RTI from misused......... I think you are not aware the work of Govt. Officers............ If you want real experience please visit any office of Govt as general public for your work completed you will see the actual situation of country.
    Mr Gupta, Karira has not given his opinion, but has simply reproduced a news report from the Economic Times for the benefit of discussion by members. When you find time, please go through all his posts and you will understand his real time experience with govt offices as well as RTI.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Mr Ganpat thanks for your immediate reply on the issue. Actually the public authorities made our country a country having very huge problems and our leaders are not in position to control them. Now due to RTI the right given to public at large I want to part of organisation who is really interested to improve the work of Govt and courts. Please do not afraid any one this is a mission like freedom fight. If any adverse amendment is done by parliament it will be winning of public authorities.
    Last edited by sngupta; 02-10-07 at 06:18 PM.

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    Mr Ganpat thanks for your immediate reply on the issue. Actually the public authorities made our country a country having very huge problems and our leaders are not in position to control them. Now due to RTI the right given to public at large I want to part of organisation who is really interested to improve the work of Govt and courts. Please do not afraid any one this is a mission like freedom fight. If any adverse amendment is done by parliament it will be winning of public authorities.
    Dear Shri Gupta, while registering in this portal you might have observed, but let me re-emphasise again. RTI India is a web Portal devoted for cause of dissemination of information and rightful interpretation of Right to Information Act 2005 of India.

Our vast country has huge problems and debates on that can go on for ever and ever, but much of that will be beyond the boundaries that we have set for ourselves. To quote again from the forum rules: RTI India is not an organization nor is it meant to demean any Government or the Ministry or the organization nor it is meant for crusade against the Government.

Here we stop with dissemination of information and interpretation of the RTI Act. Any other type of mission, or crusade or movement that you may contemplate is beyond the scope of this forum.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.