Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

I am not aware of any other legislation which has drawn so many ebulient Activists as being drawn by the RTI Act despite the non-cooperation from media. One of the reasons being its people-friendly provisions. Unlike all other legislations the responsibility to justify the plea is shifted from the appellant to respondent in in RTI Act. We do have problems with judiciary; but unfortunately we are tongue-tied due to Contempt of Courts Acts. You are too correct that the RTI will follow suit if we allow the bureaucrates and custodians of RTI Act to indulge in diluting it with provisions like CIC's (Management) Regulations and recommendations projected during the recent Conference of Information Commissioners. This call for more vigil from honest cityzens who desire to uphold democratic principles.

Last edited by colnrkurup; 04-11-07 at 06:02 PM.

2. Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

Instead of preparing big plans, I suggest that you should approach local colleges, tution class owners, local clubs/associations like lions, rotary etc, youth mandals, merchant/industry associations and hold awareness programmes for an hour or so. You can also distribute material on RTI and explain success stories. I have listed few success stories on my blog.I have prepared 14 page simple guide on practical use of RTI in english/gujarati, which if you need can be e-mailed to you.
    Last edited by jps50; 15-12-07 at 12:44 AM.

3. Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

You can have free services of retired persons from banks/psu and big companies who are educated and can spare time and money also for helping your cause. You can get list of retired officers/executives of banks/insurance companies by contacting retired officers association through branches of banks/insurance companies. This is an untaped resource for social work.

4. Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

Hi please mail your RTI booklet to [###]

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Shrawan; 04-01-08 at 11:04 AM. Reason: email link deleted

Hope India Foundation
    Chennai

Transforming India through Transforming Individuals

5. Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

We do not allow live email links at the forum. Also it would be better to share the booklet with all of us rather than through email. May I request you to post it via attachment here.

If in case of difficulty, let me know.

6. Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

From the essence of the original mail and subsequent clarifications, I presume that HIF wishes not only to educate people about RTI but also wants the people to carry the torch forward. However, I personally have some reservations about targetting employees of Corporates, more so in the IT sector. They are not only elite but are governed and protected by several laws of the country. There is a likelihood that there might be an element of self-containment which doesn't push people to go the extra yard.

On the contrary, the RTI should target those people who are deprived and exploited. If we are able to show some light at the end of the tunnel, I feel they will seize the opportunity quicker and firmer than others who are settled and secured.

Honestly speaking, I have been reading RTI seriously only for the past few months. I am currently trying to get the Tamil version of the RTI so that I can make a PDF file for the benefit of people who don't understand English. I am planning to circulate this file to several groups and individuals so that they should read and understand their rights with regard to matters involving them and the country.

Once I am true with this, I am willing to share it with anyone who can only understand Tamil.

Warm regards

R.Venugopalan

* I plead ignorance if my views on this subject are not comprehensive.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

Sorry. I could not follow the 'self continment' angle. When one reach a level of helplelessness with all other enactments, they find the solution in RTI Act. If you go through old posts, you will come across incidence where a very senior IFS officer bidding to become the Foreigh Secretary of India falling on this Act. Often an extra mm derrived through RTI Act can turn the table.

8. Re: Strategy to involve People in RTI spreading

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    Sorry. I could not follow the 'self continment' angle. When one reach a level of helplelessness with all other enactments, they find the solution in RTI Act. If you go through old posts, you will come across incidence where a very senior IFS officer bidding to become the Foreigh Secretary of India falling on this Act. Often an extra mm derrived through RTI Act can turn the table.
    Sir,

I once again plead ignorance as I can understand that my views are not very comprehensive in this regard. I am as good or as bad as a layman but I personally believe that an Act like RTI should be used to help those who are totally helpless than those who have something to be content with. I do agree that self-containment is a very subjective term that varies from person to person. For the time being, I am just thinking about those who are at the basement.

But I am equally concerned about anyone who has a grievance that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for your useful insight in this regard.

R.Venugopalan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast