Topic Identifier

Thread: Aplication for information under RTIA05 not recieved in CM, UP office

1. Aplication for information under RTIA05 not recieved in CM, UP office

I had sent a complaint for enquiry agaist the misdeeds of some Noida Authority officials by regd AD to Hon Chief Minister, Govt Of UP, Lucknow on 24.05.07. When, as usual, no reply was recieved, I sent an application dated 07.08.07 for supply of some information in this matter under sec 6 of RTIA05 to the SPIO in the office of Hon Chief Minister, Govt Of UP,Lucknow by regd AD. Before doing so, I researched on the internet and found that Sri Mohd Akhlaq Khan was the SPIO in the ofice of Hon CM, UP and hence addressed my application to him by name with SPIO as the suffix after his name and Office of Chief Minister, Govt Of UP, Sachivalaya, Lucknow 226001 as the address. This application was however recieved back undelivered to me with postal remarks that the addressee refused to receive this letter. Could anybody advise me as to why it could have so happened and what further action can be taken in this matter. Does CM, UP not have a SPIO in his office under RTIA05.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Aplication for information under RTIA05 not recieved in CM, UP office

You have the option of directly complaining to the UPSIC under section 18 of the RTI Act OR appealing to the AA in the CM's office.
    Reason being non acceptance of the application under RTI.
    Please keep all copies of the registered post receipt, the proof that the receiving party did not accept, etc...

3. Re: Aplication for information under RTIA05 not recieved in CM, UP office

Thanks for your suggestion. In my other thread concerning problems met with in SCIC office, UP, Lucknow, I brought out that in view of the defective working of SCIC, UP, Lucknow, there is no use complaining to him by applicants like me situated far away (in Noida) from him (in Lucknow). Hence, I did not complain. mksinghal

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

There are certain unwritten facts one gain by experience. Some of them are:
    1. Avoid addressing the PIO by name in the initial request when sent by registered post. The PIO might have been changed .
    2. Avoid senting Ack Due registered letter. Regd AD letter necessitate receipt by the addressee. The PIO can always defend that whenever the postman arrived he might not have been in the office and otherwise engaged on duties outside the ofice.
    3. Sent by Registered letter (withoutAD) or by speed post. I prefer speed post as it can be tracked in the web
    In your case it would have been better, had you addressed it to" State Public Information Officer of Chief Minister's Office etc., etc.," Atleast the Receipt/despatch clerk of CM's office would have received it. In case if such a letter returned unaccepted your case would have been more strong.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 07-10-07 at 12:34 PM.

5. Re: Aplication for information under RTIA05 not recieved in CM, UP office

Thanks for your comments. In the past, I had tried to send some applications for info addressed to SPIO only but they came back undelievered probably because the receipt assistant in the office did not know about existance of a PIO in that office. This happened with an application sent to SPIO, Office of SCIC, UP, Lucknow as well Hence I started searching for name of PIO on the net beore sending applications. There should be no differance between regd AD or speed post dispatch if the office is prepared to accept such applications. mksinghal

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

No Mr.Singhal. There is vast dfifference between Rgd AD and speed post. Regd AD will be delivered normally only to the addressee in person whereas speed post will be delivered to any one who is empowered to receive letters on behalf of the addressee. Problems like the one faced by you arise only when the office is not prepared to accept such application. Had they been willing, an ordinary letter would have been suffice. In the case of Regd AD the PIO can escape with excuses as stated by me earlier whereas in other cases no one can escape. A returned letter with ' not accepted ' inscribed by postal authorities is good enough for you to prove that the PIO has refused the application. If you have earlier covers returned by the receipt assistant it is good enough if it is now not barred by limitation. If the Assistant is ignorant of existance of the PIO, it is not your fault. It is the head-ache of the PIO or his public authority and defenitely not yours. Kindly try the method suggested. You are bound to succeed. Good luck.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 07-10-07 at 04:55 PM.

7. Re: Aplication for information under RTIA05 not recieved in CM, UP office

colnrkurup, you have excellent information about the working of postal department. It would be great idea to compile all your knowledge into a FAQ. That will help many RTI applicant.
    It was a great info on difference on Registered AD and Speed Post.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android