Central Information Commission
Decision No. 297/IC(A)/2006
F. No. CIC/MA/A/2006/00663
Dated, the 21st September, 2006
- Name of the Appellant : Shri S. Gangaiah Nayakar, 3/488, Rajapalayam Salai, T. N.C.Alangulam, District - Virudhunagar-626127
- Name of the Public Authority: Indian Overseas Bank, Customers Service Department, Central office, 763,Anna Salai, Channai-600 002.
- The appellant had sought certain information, which was largely furnished to him.
- The CPIO however denied the information relating to the details of loan accounts of another person and other documents submitted by him. The CPIO contented that the information sought is related to personal information, which is exempted u/s 8(1)(j) of the Act. The appellate authority upheld the decision of the CPIO.
- There is no denial of information to the appellant. The Banks are expected to maintain confidentiality of the accounts of its customers and that the documents submitted by its customers do not fall under public domain. Hence, exempted u/s 8(1)(j) of the Act.
- The appeal is accordingly disposed of.
(Prof M. M. Ansari)
› Find content similar to: Confidentiality of accounts by bank exempt under RTI