Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTI may create accountability in addition to stop corruption

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RTI may create accountability in addition to stop corruption

No dobout corruption is day by day reducing in our country due to more and more use of computers and development of media. The RTI is also effective tool to reduce the corruption. Our country is facing much problem of irresponsibility in administration. It is also required to make the administration accountable to provide justice and respectable life to indian citizens. We may think to use RTI for fixing the accountability also.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: RTI may create accountability in addition to stop corruption

Sorry ! I find it dificult to agree that coruption is reduced. In fact, due to conspicuous consumtion, high cost of living, fear of seniors to punish juniors lest their corruption entrusted on them by the politicians are exposed, the corruption is on the increase. RTI has not yet become a deterant or caused any dent though RTI is the only effective tool to expose corruption as stated by you. The habit of CIC and SICs in side-tracking the RTI Act or geting out of their shoes and effort to assume themselves as Courts by resorting to the lengthy and unneccessry legal procedure is one of the impediments need curbing urgently. Even the DoPT does not bother when the CIC assumed the powers of government, made Rules and ammended the RTI Act The Ministries does not wield much powers over the CIC/SICs. His Excellency the Governors or even President seems NOT giving the desired protection to this wonderful Act. The media seems not daring enough to invite wrath of the bureaucates and does not find it unethical to help the SICs to spread disinformation. Who will bell the cat ?
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 10-10-07 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corruption is a phenomena which is not restricted only to Govt. Sector or Public Sector.
    It is prevent in all the sectors and among all the sections of the society.
    There are a number of pvt. companies in US who has made head line on corruption charges.

I believe colnrkurup is right in pointing out that one of the importatnt reason is conspicuous consumption and constant insecurity among person.

An individual driven by insecurity & desire for conspicuous consumption, resort to corruption.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    No dobout corruption is day by day reducing in our country .......
    What gave you that idea ? Please elaborate the basis of your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by maneesh View Post
    Corruption is a phenomena which is not restricted only to Govt. Sector or Public Sector.
    It is prevent in all the sectors and among all the sections of the society.
    There are a number of pvt. companies in US who has made head line on corruption charges.

I believe colnrkurup is right in pointing out that one of the importatnt reason is conspicuous consumption and constant insecurity among person.

An individual driven by insecurity & desire for conspicuous consumption, resort to corruption.
    Maneesh, corruption is everywhere. Agreed. But the problem in India is that it affects the daily lives of each and every citizen. Just look at the threads posted on this forum in the last one week:
    - Wheat import scam
    - Gas Cylinder distribution scam
    - Coal India / PM Relief fund scam
    Things have come to such a pass that even the Income Tax department will now allow "Baksheesh" as a deductible business expenditure ! (please read: Baksheesh is official expense: HC-India-The Times of India)

In AP, there is a running battle between the Ex Vigilance Commissioner and the Government as well as Officers about the so called list of 10,000 (yes Ten Thousand) corrupt officers/staff and another list on which the CM apparently sat on for ever.

I don't know about other members, but I face the big C issue everyday in one form or the other....be it Govt. or Private sector. Rather than trying to justify its existence, it is better and more worthwhile to find solutions.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No dobout the views expressed by Mr. colonrkurup is correct as we could not finish the corruption till now. I expressed that due to use of information technology now a days so many records have been computerised and so many items poured from hands of human being and chances of corruption is being reduced day by day. You may see in Railway Reservation, Banking Services, Telecommunication services and may be some what in central departments. In our country the problem of private sector corruption is not there as at present there is no job possiblity in private sector to a corrupted man. May be at top level there may be corruption but it is not effecting general public of our country. I expect that if we use RTI as movement it will definately reduce the corruption. Dear friends power is not given it may taken only. If we will work for RTI with full devotion we will be in position in power in future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Karira,
    First, corruption at one section is not excuses for other. Some thing which is wrong is wrong and it cannot become right as some one else is also wrong.
    My observation was towards corruption as a whole.
    You are write in pointing out the threads discussion and scams, they are galore. We have a way now to deal with it i.e. RTI.

About affecting daily life of citizens, I would give a couple of example of Pvt. sector abberations (I do not know whether you call it corruption or not it is still a debatable issue)

1. Issue of multiple policy from the premium paid for the original policy to boost performance by health insurance/life insurance companies
    2. Credit card bill manipulation and showing late payment and then accumulation of interests.
    3. Hiding information in the fine prints or service agreement.

I am not justifying corruption in govt service. You are right Govt corruption is much bigger and many fold than private, but my point is it is also there and there is no alternative like RTI to fight.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dear friends, The glory of RTI Act is boundless. I relish every word of this wonderful enactment. Even if we have very average PIOs, AAs, ICs, SICs and CIC with minimum honesty integrity, devotion, motivation and determination can eradicate corruption completely from India. Due to causeof delay and ineffectiveness of the RTI set people did not develop faith in RTI so far. Any amount of speeches or education can't cultivate it. People want results and proof of effectiveness of the Act. This cannot be achieved till such time we succeed in making the RTI machinery functional in practice. I will quote a simple example. You have been praising about how computerisation has reduced corruption in Railway reservation. In fact it has not. There are lot of non-computerised railway stations who have quottas in each train which have a stop there. Seats falling unutilised from such stations will not find in the chart. So is the last minutes cancellations made after preparation of the chart. The TTEs are fully aware of it. You might have noticed people crowding near the bathrooms of ech reserved compartment. You might have seen theTTEs shooing away those in lasr part of waitring list inquiring about the likely vacancy. But you will find almost all of those crowding near the bathrooms could be seen getting reservation after few hours.They are the one who are willing to pay the bribe and sure of obtaining a berth by paying bribe. If we have any faith in the CPIO of Railways, anyone could ask as to how a particular person got reservation when others were driven away earlier. You will find that person's name missing in the waiting list whereas those very low in the waitting list were driven off earlier. What I mean is that computerisation alone cannot prevent corruption. You need an effective RTI set up.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dear Manish,
    In this thread we are discussing the role of RTI in accountability in addition to corruption. I want to mention here that RTI is only applicable on the institutions having some share of Govt. If any of my friend is aggrieved with the corruption of private sector I may give so many commercial laws and institutions who is solving the greviences against the private sector. We need not to discuss the corruption in private sector through RTI. We knows that private sector is bound to compliance so many statuary compliance and we may seek that through RTI from Govt bodies. Friends MRTP, DCF, ROC, SEBI, TRAI, IRDA, DSO,Registrar of Societies, EPF commissioner, Labour Commissioner, Ministries and so many authorities are working to resolve the issue of corruption in private sector. Friends try to make the Govt transparent and accountable everyone in country will be transparent and accountable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android