Topic Identifier

Thread: Submit Applications to CAPIO or SAPIO and save postal expenditure

Submit Applications to CAPIO or SAPIO and save postal expenditure

I am pasting the relavant extract of RTI 2005. Dear friends as per section (5) sub-section (2) every letter addressed to PIO, CPIO, AA, CIC may be hand over to CAPIO or SAPIO.

Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), every public authority shall designate an officer, within one hundred days of the enactment of this Act, at each sub-divisional level or other sub-district level as a Central Assistant Public Information Officer or a State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, to receive the applications for information or appeals under this Act for forwarding the same forthwith to the Central Public Information Officer or the State Public Information Officer or senior officer specified under sub-section (1) of section 19 or the Central Information Commission or the State Information Commission, as the case may be:
    Provided that where an application for information or appeal is given to a Central Assistant Public Information Officer or a State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, a period of five days shall be added in computing the period for response specified under sub-section (1) of section 7.

2. Re: Submit Applications to CAPIO or SAPIO and save postal expenditure

It may be OK for an applicant sitting in a large govt department in a big city to reach the application to his CAPIO/SAPIO, who in all probabilities may be working in the same office complex. But unfortunately it cannot be applicable in every single case.

For example, how about an RTI applicant from a village. Probably he will be spending more time and money in trying to find out a CAPIO/SAPIO to submit his application, than sending it by regd post, besides being in doubt all the time if his application has reached the correct PIO.

Likewise, in those cases that involve the life and liberty of an individual where a mandatory reply has to be given within 48 hours, would anybody be interested in taking this route and waste five precious days to save on postage?

Under such circumstances, the proverbial sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Submit Applications to CAPIO or SAPIO and save postal expenditure

With the present trend of officials evading responsibility, I find it better to address to the PIO instead of routing through the APIO

Dear Mr colnrkurup,
    I started this thread due to I am deteriorated by PIO for my submission of CIC decision to my immediate superior and futher forarding by APIO. I have already discussed this issue in this forum and I could not get proper reply of my problem. On my reading the RTI I came to know section 5(2) and as per extract of this section every application received by APIO must be forwarded to concerned PIO within five days. He is bound to take application on behalf of PIO CPIO and CIC or SIC. This is one of option we may use for submission our RTI request appeal and 2nd appeal. Some time the authorities who is not interested to take application will misguide for directly despatch of letter. If this thread is not use full our forum man We may stop further discussion.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    application received by APIO must be forwarded to concerned PIO within five days. ......
    There is no limit to the number of days that a ACPIO/ASPIO can take to forward the application to the PIO. Section 5(2) only says that the total response time in such cases will be 35 days (instead of the usual 30 days).
    That means that the ACPIO/ASPIO can forward the application taking even 34 days, but you must be given a reply in 35 days.

Yes you are saying correct. we may wait 5 more days for information.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android