Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The use of RTI by Govt. servant will make every organ of Govt. more transparent and accountable.

Our constitution was framed on the theme “ The chances of corruption is least if any act is being done by so many hands”. Today one news published in Rajasthan Patrika that Mr. Dave retired judge expressed need of transparency in judiciary. The working of Judiciary in our country is very poor and Govt. officers are using judicial delay as a tool. The use of RTI by Govt. servant may make transparent and accountable administration. If we will give appreciation to him he may discontinue the malpractice group. This is fate of our citizens that some Govt. servants are not being fitted in malpractice group. Whenever this type of fellows will finish our citizen may not expect justice. It is my request to welcome the counterparts or some persons sitting across the table. The Govt. servant having more interest in his department and his efforts may only make the system more transparent and accountable.
    I am quoting an example to support my views. Some days before I came to know that “A group was formed by counter personnel’s of a Railway station to cheat money from customers by making them fool. They were using a tactic like some one handed over a note of Rs. 500/- and asked a ticket. The counter clerk settled the change treating that as Rs. 100/-.Here customer is alone and there is a group. He is not in position to establish that he paid Rs. 500/-. In this condition the customer may be supported by only Govt. servants not fitted in that group.
    The practice is available in so many fields.
    My recent experience in this regards is submitted here “ The group of persons supplying information under RTI is also deciding appeal on behalf of AA also”. How we may expect justice.

› Find content similar to: The use of RTI by Govt. servant will make every organ of Govt. more transparent and accountable.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: The use of RTI by Govt. servant will make every organ of Govt. more transparent and accountable.

The AA is generally the immediate superior officer sitting next door. In majority of cases theAAs finalise the appeal in consultation with the same PIO and his infrastructure. Naturally in such cases one cannot expect much variations in theAAs reply. The period 30 days prescribed for the PIO in practice stretches to nearly 80 days to him. The PIO reply putting a date near 30 days and it might reach the appellant after 35 days. The appellant take 10 days to prepare an appeal and make it reach the AA He get 30 days and the reply reaches nerly after 35 days. Now the total time taken is nearly 80 (35+10+35) days

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: The use of RTI by Govt. servant will make every organ of Govt. more transparent and accountable.

The analysis presented by you is really appreciable but this is not a correct way. The AA must work on his own wisdom. The whole legal function is not being done like present treatment of RTI. Every authority having their own office to decide appeals. Actually mximum percentage of Govt Officers applying the RTI just a head ache and the attitude of CIC and SIC`s are not in favour of RTI so that they are feeling free.
    We are the fellows who may try to rectify the system and proper arrangement is to be ensured. Please try to ensure the implementation of section 4 of RTI act 2005 and rest problem will be solved.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately in the case of RTI Act the bureaucrates invariably stick together to face the common enemy viz., "WE THE PEOPLE OF INDIA - information seekers ". This is exactly the reason for the Architect of the RTIAct specifically making the PIO personally responsible and the liability of paying the penalty entrusted on him. Unless and until the CIC and SICs take deterrant actions as envisaged in the Act the cituation is not likely to improve.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 14-10-07 at 07:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Mr. Colnrkurup,
    Our efforts will make the system more tranparent and accountable. Please tell me your state of stay and where you eagerly working on RTI.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Dear Mr.SN Gupta, I am atTellicherry (Kannur Disrict) of Kerala as shown against my location in the post itself. I am quite serious about contributing my share in making the RTI Act to reach its optimum utility.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    The AA is generally the immediate superior officer sitting next door. In majority of cases theAAs finalise the appeal in consultation with the same PIO and his infrastructure. Naturally in such cases one cannot expect much variations in theAAs reply. The period 30 days prescribed for the PIO in practice stretches to nearly 80 days to him. The PIO reply putting a date near 30 days and it might reach the appellant after 35 days. The appellant take 10 days to prepare an appeal and make it reach the AA He get 30 days and the reply reaches nerly after 35 days. Now the total time taken is nearly 80 (35+10+35) days
    What you say is correct. Hence it is absolutely essential that we help as many applicants as possible in:

1. Proper drafting of the RTI Application. A well drafted and thought out
    application can never be circumvented easily by any PIO.
    In fact even before the draft is attempted, go through in your own
    mind about:
    - Why am I asking for this information ?
    - What will I do with the information thus gathered ?
    - Am I adhering to the RTI Act in ALL its aspects ?
    - Be very dilligent and meticulous in drafting the application and using
    the right language and words.

2. Even after all this, if the applicant reaches the First Appeal stage:

- If the first application was well drafted , it will be very evident that
    the PIO is trying to evade reply/ gove wrong information/etc.
    This makes drafting the First Appeal very very easy
    - In the First Appeal, make sure you quote the relevant sections of the
    RTI Act (or atleast the numbers of the Sections) so that AA has little
    chance of denying relief under appeal.
    For Example:
    If the PIO gave false or misleading information, then say:
    Ground for Appeal:
    Section 18(1)(e) of the RTI Act 2005
    Explanation:
    I asked for the information if the Department maintains any account
    for refund of taxes with the State Bank of India, XXX, Branch,
    Hyderabad.
    The PIO has provided information about a account which is for
    collection and deposit of taxes and not for refund of taxes.
    Therefore the PIO is providing false and misleading information.
    My Plea in this appeal:
    Instruct the PIO to give me the correct information immediately.

Even though the PIO and AA might be in league, please remember that as per the RTI Act, it is ONLY the PIO or the "deemed" PIO who is liable for penalty under section 20 of the Act. "Use" this to your advantage in the First Appeal and also during the hearing (in case the applicant is called for the First Appeal).

To reduce the time of 80 days as pointed out by colnrkurup, put the following point towards the end of the list of information you are asking for:

"The day by day movement of this RTI Application from the day of its reciept by the PIO till the information is despatched to me"

Putting the above will sometimes cut the time period shorter. Even if the total time taken is 80 days, it will be amply clear from the reply as to who is delaying or where is the delay taking place, thus pinpointing responsibility.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I am seeking the views of forum whether Govt servant is to be allowed to use RTI or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast