Thread: Documents to be carried while driving motor cycle!

1. Documents to be carried while driving motor cycle!

Can somebody help me with following query or give me some contact email address from where i may get it.

I drive a motorcycle. I always carry with me my original driving license. I also carry with me the photocopy of the registration certificate and the insurance.

I wish to know that is it compulsory to carry the original copy of Registration certificate and insurance? As these are the documents which may get lost and it is very difficult to get them reissued, therefore can we present their photocopies to the police officials when they stop us for checking? If the attested photocopies are valid then who can be the attesting officer?

I would like to contact some trafiic police official who may reply to me as per RTI. So that in case of being caught with the set of supposed to carry documents, I may not face any problem.

I stay in chandigarh. I tried to go through the traffic police website but i was not able to find out any email link.

2. Re: Documents to be carried while driving motor cycle!

It is not compulsory to carry the original RC & Insurance with you. Supposing you are driving the vehicle of your relative or friend(with your valid driving license intact with you), is it possible for you to obtain the RC & insurance during the period of your driving from the owner of the vehicle?

The Motor Vehicle Act permits a period of 15 days within which the RC is to be produced before the officer who demanded it.

With specific reference to Chandigarh there is an interesting link about Instructions to Challaning Officers. I am furnishing the same below and I am sure it will be of use to you.
    Chandigarh traffic police, promoting road safety, traffic safety, India road signs & rules, safe responsible driving, first aid India.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

3. Re: Documents to be carried while driving motor cycle!

Dear Ganpat,

The Police official can seize my license in case of not producing the RC & insurance. I will get back my license only after producing these documents in the court within the stipulated period of fourteen days.

It would b cumbersome to go and produce the documents in the court. So if it is allowed to present the attested photocopies then there would be no problem at all.

Thanks

4. Re: Documents to be carried while driving motor cycle!

Since I am not familiar with the MV rules of Chandigarh. I suggest you to seek a clarification from the Police Commissioner-Traffic through a simple letter, regarding the permissibility of carrying photostat/attested copies of RC & Insurance. If you do not get a response, then you can make use of RTI to get one.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Documents to be carried while driving motor cycle!

Whenever the road-tax is renewed the RTO always issue a 3" diameter size, a sort of badge. This has to be framed in a partcular type of glassed metal frame and fixed in the motor cycle. Incase of car that sheet should bepasted inside the wind-screen in such way that it is visible from outside. Similarly the insurance Coys also issue a formal reciept apart from the Policy. It will serve the purpose. As regards driving licence, there is no choice other than to carry. In the absence of above a determined cob can harrass you to extract money. I don't think that there is any alternative other than the above. If you are prepared to bribe, you don't have to carry anything.

6. Traffic Rule

If anywhere any traffic police stops us while driving and asks for license and documents of vehicle
    and if suppose we cannot produce the required document at the time
    he is liable to charge fine to us
    but do we get any time to produce that required documents ??

7. Re: Traffic Rule

A person driving a vehicle is supposed to possess all needed documents while driving. Normally, authorities will not agree for any reasoning, excepting some considerate officials. Now, if they take possession of vehicle (They do not wait for your return with papers in such a short time), they may even insist crane/carrying/transport of vehicle to police station.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Traffic Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Ronak Tanna View Post
    If anywhere any traffic police stops us while driving and asks for license and documents of vehicle
    and if suppose we cannot produce the required document at the time
    he is liable to charge fine to us
    but do we get any time to produce that required documents ??
    Your post has been merged with another thread on the same subject/topic.
    Please read the whole thread and the links.
    Also visit the website of the Traffic Police of your State. That should have all the information.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android