Thread: Personal Loans- Misleading Information

1. Personal Loans- Misleading Information

Hello All,
    I am a new guy here. I joined RTI after i read something here when i was looking for RBI and its role in credit cards. Are there any regulations with regard to this by RBI. The agents who approach on behalf of the bank collect the documents promising a low rate of interest and send it for processing. When the approval comes the bank states another higher rate of Interst and the consumer is stuck. I was told by the bank that they will charge some fee if the loan needs to be cancelled. Please advice.

2. Re: Personal Loans- Misleading Information

Dear Barige,

RBI has given a clear set of operational guidelines for the credit card companies. The same are available at : Reserve Bank of India. Personal loans offered by these banks are on a different footing and not under credit cards.

On credit cards, some interesting discussions have taken place in this forum and the same can be viewed at : Stanchart Cards Bank Harassing me.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

3. Re: Personal Loans- Misleading Information

And do read the blog post by Ganpat here: http://www.rtiindia.org/blogs/ganpat...-a-novice-125/

4. Re: Personal Loans- Misleading Information

Thanks for all the information. I made a small mistake. I was not reffering to a credit card here.. My problem is with Personal Loans. I was told by Standard Charatered agent that my interst rate would be 15 and when i called the phone helpline of the bank they said 18 which i dont want to take. So I said i am not interested. The bank says they will be levying a charge for not taking the loan. Please tell me if its possible for a bank to levy a charge to close a loan which I didnt even avail.

Re: Personal Loans- Misleading Information

Hello Barige,
    The issues you have raised here are not related to RTI directly.
    Please tell me if its possible for a bank to levy a charge to close a loan which I didnt even avail.
    Banks do charge a fee towards foreclosure of loans. In your case if you have not encashed the DD issued to you then you have not availed the loan. So no foreclosure fees can be charged.

So do not encash or return the DD you received from the Bank. Write to the Bank to cancel the loan citing your reasons. Send the DD once you get a confirmation from their side.
    If they insist on a foreclosure fees then make a complain to their nodal officer.

If that fails then lodge your complain with RBI Ombudsman.

Sidmis

6. Re: Personal Loans- Misleading Information

This thread is now closed and in information graveyard.

For further discussions on social issues, kindly join

Big Helpers: our Sister site meant for Community Social help to Indian Netizens.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android