Thread: Noise control during festival season

1. Noise control during festival season

Gujarat has been a most happening centre of festive celebrations in a magnanimous way. However, come Ganesh Puja followed by Navratri & Diwali/Gujarati New Year the evenings are stretched beyond midnight with Blaring high decibel Sound system, affecting the long term health of the people in the vicinity by compromising sleep time & mental peace of the students & old people around.
    Diwali entails before & after fire-crackers not only detrimental to the air pollution but a war-front like menacing sounds.

Without much going into the above obvious facts, there is no direct control by the law makers except the affected citizens raise there voices by calling police help or simply continue to bear.

There is very effective implementation in Mumbai region for controlling such abnormal disturbances.
    Gujarat region has very lenient approach on this. Especially, Surat.

My request is to the law makers, local administration & police to have blanket control for the high volume sounds in the Pandals, Navratri Venues etc to bring the respite from these nuisance causing social gatherings/celebrations.

Sent from my iPhone using RTI INDIA mobile app

Last edited by sanjeevmohan; 20-03-17 at 02:43 PM.

2. Re: Noise control during festival season

You can make out it as RTI issue by uploading a complaint at the portal of Government. Then ask status under RTI.

3. Re: Noise control during festival season

Thanks!! I shall do that.

Sent from my iPhone using RTI INDIA

4. Noise control during festival season

Quote Originally Posted by sanjeevmohan View Post
    Gujarat has been a most happening centre of festive celebrations in a magnanimous way. However, come Ganesh Puja followed by Navratri & Diwali/Gujarati New Year the evenings are stretched beyond midnight with Blaring high decibel Sound system, affecting the long term health of the people in the vicinity by compromising sleep time & mental peace of the students & old people around.
    Diwali entails before & after fire-crackers not only detrimental to the air pollution but a war-front like menacing sounds.

Without much going into the above obvious facts, there is no direct control by the law makers except the affected citizens raise their voices by calling police help or simply continue to bear.

There is very effective implementation in Mumbai region for controlling such abnormal disturbances.
    Gujarat region has very lenient approach on this. Especially, Surat.

My request is to the law makers, local administration & police to have blanket control for the high volume sounds in the Pandals, Navratri Venues etc to bring the respite from these nuisance causing social gatherings/celebrations.

5. Re: Noise control during festival season

In democracy, majority counts. If large number of public wants to celebrate such festival using loudspeakers, it is the wish of the people. Govt or its instrumentality cannot ban such celebrations. The voice and notice also cannot be totally eliminated by force. Regulatory authority can enforce conditions such as no-use after 10 pm etc. Authorities shall not stop celebration of festivals merely based on your representations. You must move court of law and put appropriate conditions for granting permission for such celebrations.
    Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते

6. Re: Noise control during festival season

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEENA_O View Post
    In democracy, majority counts. If large number of public wants to celebrate such festival using loudspeakers, it is the wish of the people. Govt or its instrumentality cannot ban such celebrations. The voice and notice also cannot be totally eliminated by force. Regulatory authority can enforce conditions such as no-use after 10 pm etc. Authorities shall not stop celebration of festivals merely based on your representations. You must move court of law and put appropriate conditions for granting permission for such celebrations.
    Thanks Raveena for responding. I am not against any such celebrations. I have my concern beyond 10pm only. Especially, within the the residential premise. Nobody is taking people's right out of democracy. My only issue is that there is no strict implementation of laid criteria & enforcement as in other cities. We as citizens fail to respect the logic behind such outrageous celebrations that goes on for days in & out into the middle of the night. I hope you understand.

7. Re: Noise control during festival season

Every pandal must receive mandated permission from police and the police prescribe not only timings but also decibels level, and they make rounds if a complaint is received through 100.
    Perceptions differ . India is a land of festivities. Inspite of all this, we are behind in survey of happiness. Every citizen is having responsibility towards society also. Once this basic courtesy is not exercised, one can not blame the authorities, as the same public raise issue of secular tags, in case of even law maintenance.

8. Noise control during festival season

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.N. Prasad View Post
    Every pandal must receive mandated permission from police and the police prescribe not only timings but also decibels level, and they make rounds if a complaint is received through 100.
    Perceptions differ . India is a land of festivities. Inspite of all this, we are behind in survey of happiness. Every citizen is having responsibility towards society also. Once this basic courtesy is not exercised, one can not blame the authorities, as the same public raise issue of secular tags, in case of even law maintenance.
    How Mumbai is able to enforce 10pm deadline?? It is the leniency in administrative control in certain cities which make the non participating people's life become hell in such extended festive celebrations days & late hours....
    .....on any given time, average maximum participation is just 20% of the population in that particular local area barring areas with minority population.
    No justification is reasonable for a country becoming a Globally recognised one & efforts to bring down all kinds of environmentally damaging elements.

We need to device absolute control when making public display of any 'loud' expression.

Law doesn't count number of murders done to justify criminal charges. Late hours decibels of any form of sound is an absolute Mental harassment of the students studying, old/ailing people & the normal population trying to continue their routine as usual.

We all need to wakeup to the cause...
    ...there isn't anything unreasonable in being reasonable & responsible.

Last edited by sanjeevmohan; 20-03-17 at 08:10 PM.