Thread: PIO Quoted Money for Providing Information But Did Not Send a Breakup of Information/Charges

1. Question PIO Quoted Money for Providing Information But Did Not Send a Breakup of Information/Charges

Respected Forum Members,

I have filed an RTI on 25th March, 2017 seeking information about the local purchases being made by a Govt. Hospital located in a remote place. The PIO sent me a reply on 18th April, 2017 that the information I sought would cost me Rs. 3000/- (Three thousand rupees) but didn't provide me a breakup of charges. He asked me pay the amount in the form of DD. I have specifically mentioned in my original RTI application to provide a breakup of charges that would be levied but the PIO paid no heed to it.

In this regard, I need your expert opinion to proceed further.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Question PIO Didn't Provide a Breakup of Charges

Respected Forum Members,

I have filed an RTI application on Mar 25, 2017 seeking information about drugs and surgicals procurement details and bills of the purchases made in the last 2 years in a Govt. hospital. The PIO sent me a reply back on 18th April, 2017 that I need to pay Rs. 3000/- towards xerox and clerical charges but didn't provide a detailed breakup of the charges. I have specifically mentioned in my RTI application to provide a breakup of charges but the PIO didn't care about it.

Here are some questions on my mind.
    Should I reach the FA or can I reach the SIC directly in such cases?
    Shall I write him back seeking detailed breakup of information?
    Should I pay the amount and see if he provides Rs. 3000/- worth information and take him to SIC?

I seek expert advice from the forum members on the next steps I should be taking. Appreciate your help in advance!

Thank you!

3. Re: PIO Didn't Provide a Breakup of Charges

If you can afford to pay Rs.3,000/- take out a demand draft, and write a letter protesting for demanding such huge sum without giving beak up details, and request PIO to charge as per rules and regulations and refund excess amount, if any.
    If information is important, always try to settle the issue at PIO or maximum FAA level as going for FAA delays the issue by further 60 days and to IC it may take two years or more.
    You can always file First and second appeal for such excess charges, if PIO fails to provide such calculation and fails to give receipt. Keep xerox copy of demand draft on your record.

4. Re: PIO Didn't Provide a Breakup of Charges

Thank you Prasad sir for your reply.

I can afford to pay Rs. 3,000/- so I will take out a DD and write a letter as per your suggestion. Do you have a draft of such letter or point me to one in the portal for my quick reference so it can save my time.

This information is not so important for me. It would only expose the PIO's scams and irregularities so he was with an assumption that by seeking excess money I wouldn't get back to him.

5. Re: PIO Didn't Provide a Breakup of Charges

There was no such blog as the information is simple and happens rarely.\

"The applicant was asked to pay Rs.3,000/- and the demand was made without any sheet showing such calculation as to how PIO Arrived at Rs.3,000/-.
    The demand is pure violation of Sec.5 (3) () which states as under
    "The details of further fees representing the cost of providing the information as determined by him together with the calculations made to arrive and amount in accordance with fee prescribed under .........subsection"

There was already a delay. Appellant to show his sincerity, is enclosing demand draft for Rs.3,000/- under protest and reserves the right to proceed further on such abnormal charges demanded without a calculation sheet in violation of RTI stipulations.

Please provide a stamped receipt, calculation sheet for such demand made as expeditiously as possible, failing which appellant may be forced to seek refund of amount paid in case of delay of more than 30 days.
    Appellant reserves the right for further remedy for excess fee charges if any from him.

6. Re: PIO Didn't Provide a Breakup of Charges

Thank you so much sir. Appreciate your help!