Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

1. Eye Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

Hi,

Wrt the current state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission, without a State Information Commissioner or any other Information Commissioners, I would like to know the procedure that is to be followed in general to fill these vacancies, whose responsibility it is to do so and whether it can be expedited in someway - considering the fact that without time-bound responses, escalations and court appeals, the very purpose of RTI Act is defeated. Keeping it in such a comatose state might help the governments in power, with nobody to question their wrongdoings and misappropriation of public funds but not the common man or the state.

-Lx

Last edited by lawyero; 17-05-17 at 09:48 PM.

2. Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

The day SC delivered Judgment, our Super Moderator discussed about the issue in a thread and there were further discussions.

Unless there is a writ before HC, the authorities are lethargic and it may take one more year to make APIC functional, as the organisation was not split in between the states, and remain headless in few more months.

There are several allegations of large scams in both states, in AP on Capital and Polavaram issue, and in Telangana Metro Land and irrigation issues that involve thousands of crores of money. This is a sensitive issue, and both the Govts are not really sincere in appointing ICS at the crucial time.

3. Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

Protests have started in Vijayawada demanding the filling up of APSIC and other ICs immediately by RTI Activists. This is good news. This has to happen all over the state of Andhra Pradesh, to make the govt of AP, which claims transparency (but doesn't do much), to act in the best interest of RTI.

-Lx
    Last edited by lawyero; 26-05-17 at 11:42 AM.

4. Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

In AP, we have enough of protests, and this is one among them, with least focus and no one is bothered.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

@lawyero

Please read Sec 15 of the RTI Act 2005.

The only solution is by way of a writ in the AP & Telangana HC

Last time - about 5 to 6 years ago, we had to:

1. First file WP to make the govt start the process
    2. Then file a writ for the Govt to dislcose th papers and method of selection
    3. Once selection was over, we had to file Writs for faulty selection and challenge the appointments

This is one of the few cases where one has to go to Court to get the Govt to do something (ie act)
    Then, one has to go to the same court to get the Govt to undo what they did !!!
    Twitter: @cjkarira

6. Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

Thank you @cjkarira ji for sharing your experience in dealing with this important issue.

It boils down to the fact that we have to spend our time and money to make the govt that we elect to work for us, to really work for us in letter and spirit. Sounds so absurd but that is the sad reality of governance in many states and center in today's India.

Even before point 1 you mentioned, I would like to file an RTI to CMO on their plan of action in filling up these vacancies. Does it help or not? If it does, what points do I have to specifically include in that RTI?

Best regards,
    Lx

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

Quote Originally Posted by lawyero View Post

Even before point 1 you mentioned, I would like to file an RTI to CMO on their plan of action in filling up these vacancies. Does it help or not? If it does, what points do I have to specifically include in that RTI?

Best regards,
    Lx
    At least it will put some pressure.

They have to first constitute 2 Commissions - one for AP and another for Telangana.

So you have to file 2 separate RTIs - one to each State Government GAD (General Administration Department) - the nodal dept for RTI in the states.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

8. Re: Sorry state of Andhra Pradesh Information Commission

I am a common man.
    Confused what for the enactment of RTI is made.
    With basic education, and common understanding, I am too small to interpret the big sounding words "Promote transparency" and "accountability" to Citizens etc., coined by experts.
    As far as I know
    a)Govt officials may act negligently.
    b)May Act with malafide motives to deprive an eligible citizen or to make undue favours to some citizens.
    c)The officials may use the official machinery for their corrupt ends.

As a common man, I will always think "what is the benefit for me out of this", in what way it helps me. Why should I be bothered if a Public servant or politician crores , as I have nothing to do with their earnings, and it may also be risky to me, due to my involvement, and when particularly they have their own mechanism which worked for more than 56 years or more.

I assume in general, that most of the citizens think in the same way as I think, may be I am wrong, but can express my opinion.

So, when I am personally affected only, I use this RTI Act, as I have many of my own problems to deal with and not bothered about what Govt official does or not, as they have in building machinery for controlling and regulating their functions of such officials.

To sum up, unless I am affected with loss, jealousy or dislike something ,when I am a political opponent to those who derived unde benefit, then only I ask for some information from Govt., against those, whom I do not like.
    Ultimately, the RTI saves Government money, and helps to book those corrupted officials, whom their system failed to identify.
    The Government is on a win win situation, and what ever I get information through RTI is not a remedy, and just a bye product, whereas Government is really beneficiary.
    What is the benefit for me as a Common man ?

I am just a "Bakra" in the entire process, used for detecting and failures in the system, which Govt. failed to find out.

The opposition parties must be more worried, as they have their own axe to grind with, in such appointments of Information Commission.
    Yes. As a common man I am worried about my purpose, but RTI is not the ultimate remedy, even without this Act, I survived for 57 years and if it is possible and beneficial, I always use the litigation way , if I can afford.

As Hon CJK, the commission is no body's baby, and it is the least priority for favouring their own party persons in both states. Both ruling parties never believe strangers, when states have many scams now.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android