Faulty evaluation can now land examiners in trouble. Students can use Right to Information (RTI) Act to see the evaluated answer-copies and file objections. A student of the Lucknow University has lodged complaint with the controller of examinations raising questions over the allotment of marks. The university authorities, however, said that the student was caught using unfair means. He is now creating unnecessary problems.

Abhishek Dwivedi, a student of law three years course, stated in his complaint that the examiner has not evaluated his answer-copies properly. He told TOI that although his answers were correct but he was awarded average numbers by the examiner. "All my short answer type questions were correct. Ideally, I should have been given full marks. But in most of the papers, the examiner allotted me half of the total marks earmarked for
the particular question," he claimed.

Abhishek got to know about the alleged anomalies in the evaluation when he saw his answer-copies recently on the directives of the State Information Commission (SIC). Initially, the university authorities had rejected Abhishek's application under RTI for showing his answer-copies of the semester II examinations. He, however, approached SIC and got a decision in his favour. This was the first time in the Lucknow University that a student has been shown answer-copies under RTI Act.

Interestingly, the student has been accused by the university authorities of using unfair means in the examinations. Controller of examinations RBS Verma said that the student was caught copying in one of the papers. "We have shown him the answer-copies in compliance of SIC orders. If the student has objections against allotment of marks, then he will have to approach the court as there are no provisions of re-evaluation in the university rule book," he said.

LUCKNOW, 31 Oct 2007

› Find content similar to: Varsity student uses RTI Act