Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

1. First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

I witnessed SHO of Police Station calling my friend regarding a civil dispute. First SHO is not suppose to conduct Kangaroo courts in PS as per the Govt order.SHO again cannot call parties to PS wherein already a case is under trial in court.Further,SHO abused and threatened my friend and asked him to settle the dispute in PS.An office staff working at SSP office influenced the SHO to conduct Kangaroo court and settle the dispute in his favour.The office staff sat at PS along with SHO and threatened us to settle the dispute.We immediately filed an oral complaint with the superiors and recorded the same.

All these has happened without the knowledge of SSP who happens to be the FAA

I filed an RTI the very next day seeking CCTV footage for all the installations for the day on which the issue occurred.

SHO has replied that " CCTV was installed in PS for transparency in operation of PS and its staff,to make the police more responsible,to eradicate corruption and to protect the Government secrets held at PS.Henceforth, at any cost I will not provide CCTV Footage"

No sections quoted, They have installed 4 camera's out of which one is an outdoor camera at the entrance.

The PIO received the above stated reply from SHO and forwarded it to me.

CCTV footage will clearly indicate that office staff of SSP and SHO conducting kangaroo courts.They deliberately denied the footage.

Looking for help on grounds of appeal.

PIL says install CCTV cameras in police stations | Chennai News - Times of India

2. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

File First Appeal before the FAA immediately on following grounds and prayers.

BRIEF HISTORY: The appellant filed RTI application dt ......... before the PIO...........(address), and sought for the CCTV footage of ....... police station for the date ............ and time ............., copy of which is attached herewith as Annexure-A. PIO decided the same and denied the information vide his decision letter dt .........., copy of which is attached herewith as Annexure-B.

GROUNDS: CCTV footage is an information held by the public authority and not qualified for exemption under any of the clauses of sec-8 or sec-9. An information can be denied only if it is qualified for such exemption, for reasons to be recorded by the PIO as to how the piece of information sought shall qualify for exemption and the repercussion of its disclosure. The PIO in this case has denied the information without assigning any reason. Such denial is with malafide intention to cover up corrupt practices and misuse of power by the police station officers. The CCTV footage is clear evidence of misuse of power by the officer concerned and presence of outsiders inside the police station and threatening by outsiders within police station in collusion with the police station officer. In this case the officer concerned indulged in corrupt practices and misused his official power and authority as also allowed outsiders to threaten and abuse a respectable citizen inside the police station, by calling him to the police station, though there is no reason and legal jurisdiction for the Police to interfere in that matter. Therefore, the information sought directly pertains to corrupt practices adopted by the officer concerned and hence involve larger public interest as also required for transparency within the police station and police administration. Supply of CCTV Footage in question shall aid and help to improve transparency in police administration and shall not cause any detriment to the police administration. Therefore the denial is malafide and intentional to suppress corrupt practices and misuse of power by the police officer(s) concerned. This appellate authority is therefore required to rectify the erroneous decision of the PIO and further be pleased to order supply of information in question.

PRAYER: The Hon'ble FAA is therefore requested to direct the PIO to supply the soft copy of CCTV footage as demanded by this appellant vide RTI Application dt ............ within 7 days from the date of decision of this appeal.
    Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते

3. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

For information of Members: Please note that unless there are exemptions specifically in Sec.8 or Sec.9 , each PIO can not invent his own exemptions for denial.
    File RTI Application to same SPIO and seek information as follows.
    Information solicited:
    1)Please provide me copy of orders/circulars/notifications that state about usage of CCTV installed in PS.
    2.Please provide me any copy of such instructions/directives/orders / precedents where it was stated that CCTV footage can not be provided to citizens under RTI.

(Members might have been following the case of Mrs.Sirisha, a Beautician suicide case in Hyderabad, where one SI reportedly called them to settle a marital dispute, attempted to commit rape, she escaped and committed suicide. When investigation started on such suicide, the SI has also committed suicide with service revolver for reasons not known.The entire CCTV footage both at PS including Hard disc were said to be malfunctioning and there was no coverage of the victims visit on that fateful day to PS and to quarters. The Hard disc was sent to forensic experts to find out facts. This SI was so notorious, he has not even spared Retd DIG's daughter, arranged for deputation on some official duty, and threatened them to vacate the house. There are innumerable incidents in AP on such settlements through ex naxalite )

4. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

As per Prasad ji advice,filed an RTI and FA for the following queries

Information solicited:
    1)Please provide me copy of orders/circulars/notifications that state about usage of CCTV installed in PS.
    2.Please provide me any copy of such instructions/directives/orders / precedents where it was stated that CCTV footage can not be provided to citizens under RTI.

FAA response " We don't have any orders/circulars/notifications that state about usage of CCTV installed in PS .It is in possession of the Office of DGP.Will provide information once we get it from Office of DGP"
    Last edited by bhasyam; 21-09-17 at 10:15 PM.

5. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

FA filed 60 days ago on the grounds that CCTV footage denied by SHO and as per drafting by Raveena Ma'am

Did not get any decision from FAA for the appeal filed.Will file SA shortly

6. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

Do not wait for second appeal.
    Discover new methods out of given information.

Now file fresh RTI Application seeking information before SPIO, DGP as follows:
    Subject on information sought: CCTV footage of PS /a Public place. The following response was provided to applicant.....by PS (Copy enclosed) We don't have any orders/circulars/notifications that state about usage of CCTV installed in PS .It is in possession of the Office of DGP.Will provide information once we get it from Office of DGP"
    Information solicited:
    1.Please provide as to whether such information was provided to...............PS, if so, please provide a certified copy of such information enabling applicant to seek the same from..................PS.

(Sorry, I do not remember what was exactly solicited by you or I got confused with two posts by you to day. Your latest post at 10-13 PM states that FA has not responded. Your earlier post at 9.33 PM says that FAA responded)

7. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

Prasad Sir,

Thanks for your help.I've filed 2 RTI applications

1. One seeking CCTV footage of PS.to expose Kangaroo courts conducted at PS.SHO denied and subsequently a FA filed as per Drafting Help from Raveena Ma'am.No reply for FA and SA to be filed

2. Since the SHO denied CCTV footage,Prasad Sir suggested filing another RTI application seeking orders/circulars/notifications that state about usage of CCTV installed in PS . PIO did not respond for the RTI application and got the response after filing FA with SSP.PIO has stated he will provide the information after receiving it from DGP office.

3.Right now I' will file the third RTI as suggested by Prasad Sir to DGP office as follows
    1.Please provide as to whether such information was provided to...............PS, if so, please provide a certified copy of such information enabling applicant to seek the same from..................PS.

Hope I've clarified

8. Re: First Appeal for CCTV footage denied

Sir,

Information solicited:

PIO has responded after receiving documents from Office of DGP as follows

First Appeal for CCTV footage denied-1-jpg

They have provided installation technical details and provided misleading information

Already First Appeal has been filed long ago.PIO asked me some time to get information from DGP office after first appeal.

Now they have replied as stated above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android