Topic Identifier

Thread: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

1. Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

I send an rti via registered post on 07/10/2017 which was received on 12/10/17 as par online tracking system,

On 13/11/17 i received a letter of pio via registered post and on which pio said reference to my rti query which he received on 13/10/17 (while online said 12/10/17) paid 16000/-rs and get your information.

As October was 31 days so i think its already 32 days over.

Kindly suggest me its 32 days or not i am confused now.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using RTI INDIA mobile app

2. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

The 30 days is a technical matter and we cannot go into arguments over that. Though your letter may have been received by the said office on 12/10/17, it may have gone to the desk of PIO on 13/10/2017 and he is justified in saying so as per his inward record. Moreover the date of receipt of RTI application and date of reply by PIO (asking for fees) is not counted in the counting of 30 days. Once the letter is dispatched by PIO, the 30 day clock is stopped and starts counting only after you pay the additional fees and show proof of payment to PIO. If the information is important to you please, pay the charges and collect the information as these days getting info is becoming more and more difficult. If the technical matter of 30 days is more important to you please file a first appeal.
    RTI - Empowering the common man to monitor the governance of India.

3. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

Information only matters, if it is urgent and important, after all we are paying actual charges to our own Government, ignore one or two days delay, pay the fees and get the information.
    If you care more for the two days delay, state in covering letter that information provided after 30 days must be given free as per RTI, and as PIO has responded after 32 days and the fees are being under protest, and applicant reserves the right to challenge such violation in first appeal.

4. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

I am sure that the information is not in 8000 pages which cost 16000/-rs, but pio want only to disturb me so he send me that bill, if i paid 16000/-rs now so can i challenge this in appeal after receiving the information and got my money return??
    Is this possible??

5. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

PIO has to send such calculation. Otherwise, you can seek inspection, and get those certified copies that are necessary for your purpose. Post your query and PIO response in verbatim for precise guidance by our forum seniors.

6. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.-img_20171114_120312-jpg

This is the cropped letter of pio.

7. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

PIO is right. He has mentioned that there is 8000 pages information and @ Rs.2/- it works out to Rs.16,000/-.

If you want to reduce the cost, seek inspection and collect only those which are important.

8. Re: Is 30 days over or not ? Kindly suggest.

Kindly write a letter to PIO saying that in accordance with the provision of section 7(3) of the RTI Act you would like to invoke your right to review the decision as to the amount of fees charged or the form of access to information provided, and thereby you would like to take an inspection of the said information and during the course of inspection you will select the required information and that the PIO may provide the information so selected during the inspection.

For Example:

To,
    The PIO, Address.

Date: XX

Subject: RTI Application Dated: XX
    Reference: Your letter Dated: XX (photocopy enclosed herewith)

With regard to the above referred letter wherein you have demanded further fee of Rs. 16000/- representing the cost of providing the requested information. I would hereby, in accordance with the provision of section 7(3) of the RTI Act like to invoke my right to review the decision as to the amount of fees charged or the form of access to information provided, and thereby I would like to take an inspection of the said information and during the course of inspection I will select the required information and that the PIO may kindly provide the information so selected during the inspection. Please note that I am willing to pay the necessary fees towards the cost of information so selected during the said inspection.

Please find quoted below the provision of section 7(3) for your immediate reference:

Quote:

Section 7(3) Where a decision is taken to provide the information on payment of any further fee representing the cost of providing the information, the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall send an intimation to the person making the request, giving—

(a) the details of further fees representing the cost of providing the information as determined by him, together with the calculations madeto arrive at the amount in accordance with fee prescribed under sub-section (1), requesting him to deposit that fees, and the period intervening between the despatch of the said intimation and payment of fees shall be excluded for the purpose of calculating the period of thirty days referred to in that sub-section;

(b) information concerning his or her right with respect to review the decision as to the amount of fees charged or the form of access provided, including the particulars of the appellate authority, time limit, process and any other forms.

Unquote

Enclosed Herewith: Your letter Dated: XX

Thanking you,

Yours truly,

Sd/-
    Mr. XXXX
    (RTI Applicant)
    "If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people." -- Confucius

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android