C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Re: Mumbai Customs Office India Detained Our EMS Gifts Post And Didnt Send Them Still.

Do not use Speed Post (another name for EMS) from Hong Kong. HK is SAR of China and treated as one and the same, by the Customs in India.

IEC code or its absence has no implication as far as customs is concerned.
    It only helps you in clearing your "large" or "commercial" consignments as well as identify you in the Customs EDI system (common all over India).

› Find content similar to: Mumbai Customs Office India Detained Our EMS Gifts Post And Didnt Send Them Still.

Last edited by karira; 07-11-07 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mumbai Customs Office India Detained Our EMS Gifts Post And Didnt Send Them Still.

Thank you Kariera for your help and for giving me such valuable information.
    So I guess I have to use other private services but so far I have also heard that even USPS shipment is detained for some people, this I know from one user on ebay who had ordered for himself a mobile phone and later asked for IEC number in Bangalore I guess for him the implementation of rules was wrong. So only other 2 options of major services remaining from which there is DHL which I don't know will come across Customs checking and rule and so far other remaining one is FedEx service who has its own customs clearing agents.

So I will try to find out what would be most useful way and also we will see how much time and faculty will be required and whether or not it will come across Customs Clearing terms or not.

Usually most shipping company ask for tax id but I was thinking in same way about IEC number in the postal service.

So as said by you that IEC is only an identity for me to be recognized in the Customs EDI system, so again does it mean that they will actually know me from their records that I have IEC number?

Thank you for your help again.

Regards,
    Anand N.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anandnav View Post
    Thank you Kariera for your help and for giving me such valuable information.
    So I guess I have to use other private services but so far I have also heard that even USPS shipment is detained for some people, this I know from one user on ebay who had ordered for himself a mobile phone and later asked for IEC number in Bangalore I guess for him the implementation of rules was wrong. So only other 2 options of major services remaining from which there is DHL which I don't know will come across Customs checking and rule and so far other remaining one is FedEx service who has its own customs clearing agents.

So I will try to find out what would be most useful way and also we will see how much time and faculty will be required and whether or not it will come across Customs Clearing terms or not.

Usually most shipping company ask for tax id but I was thinking in same way about IEC number in the postal service.

So as said by you that IEC is only an identity for me to be recognized in the Customs EDI system, so again does it mean that they will actually know me from their records that I have IEC number?

Thank you for your help again.

Regards,
    Anand N.
    1. For "commercial" and "for sale" shipments always try to get the invoice
    in the name of the company/commercial establishment
    2. For "gifts" use personal names both from and to and qty should be small like one piece.
    3. Mobile Phones are on the "sensitive" list and customs watches them with a hawkeye. Probably that is the reason that the UPS consignment got held up.
    4. IEC Nr. allotted to you is like your identification. They will also ask you to apply for a BIN number. Inputting your BIN or IEC number into the Customs EDI system will give your whole life history as well as antecedents of past imports and records of any customs checkpost in India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Kariera,
    Thank you very much again for such and useful information,
    So I have to prepare for BIN number too, but I guess all bank details were included all ready on the IEC application form which I used for applying for an IEC number so BIN number must be inputted in their system all ready.

Does IEC provice any IEC cards to its holder just like a PAN card? because I heard of it once while reading some provided rules online which confused me.

Thank you again.

P.S shipping in our country now sounds quiet difficult really.

Regards,
    Anand N.

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anandnav View Post
    Does IEC provice any IEC cards to its holder just like a PAN card?
    IE Code is communicated by way of a letter only. I haven't come across a PAN card like system for IE Code.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Ganpat,
    Thank you for your help and it was something which I heard and didn't know if it was true or not.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

This thread is now closed and in information graveyard.

For further discussions on social issues, kindly join Big Helpers: our Sister site meant for Community Social help to Indian Netizens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Goods stuck at customs

I had ordered a gift for my brother online which i believe was shipped from china as following is the tracking indian post number: EE762500527CN. It is only one quantity which was bought from an online store. The tracking system states that the goods were sent to exchange for custom verification on Feb 20th 2012 . Till Date i have no news about the whereabouts as the status still shows sent for custom verification. I have no clue whom to contact and how to deal with the matter further.

Kindly advise on the way forward.

Regards,
    nakulk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android