Topic Identifier

Thread: RTI format for Non-Resident Indians

1. RTI format for Non-Resident Indians

Hello,

I am a NRI, want to file RTI.
    1. Can I use my permanent Indian Address instead of abroad address ?
    2. Is it necessary to mention location next to the signature ? Do I have to be physically present at the location to file RTI ?
    3. Any format available for NRI RTI ?
    4. Is there any limitation of number of questions that can be asked under RTI act ?

Thank you.

Last edited by kolkata75; 13-01-18 at 03:44 PM.

2. Re: RTI format for Non-Resident Indians

Search website of public authority with whom you wanted to seek information. Locate correct Public Information Officer, format of application and remit fees through on line postal order as per their rules and regulations. Or simply ask any one of your friend or relative to sign the application as per draft sent by you in his name and address. This is more simple.
    1.Yes 2.Correct postal address is enough 3.No separate format for NRI, it may depend on Central and state, hence follow the format as prescribed in website. 4.No such limitation in general, once you go through RTI rules and regulations in authority's website you will be knowing the same. Generally point wise not more than 4 points subject wise and make it simple. Make it as many applications as possible. (Some states prescribed 500 words maximum. Avoid question type of seeking information and convert them as Please provide me information on......................., and avoid who, which, why, when, what etc.,

3. Re: RTI format for Non-Resident Indians

Quote Originally Posted by kolkata75 View Post
    Hello,

1. Can I use my permanent Indian Address instead of abroad address ?
    You must used your permanent Indian Address instead of your present foreign address.

Hello,
    2. Is it necessary to mention location next to the signature ? Do I have to be physically present at the location to file RTI ?
    No, mentioning location next to signature is not required.
    No, you do not need to be physically present at the location of filing RTI. Address is required only for the purpose of contacting you through postal communication.

Hello,
    3. Any format available for NRI RTI?
    No specific format is prescribed for NRI.

Kindly visit the concerned Public Authority's website for fees and format of RTI application. If you do not find information pertaining to applicable RTI Rules for fees and format on the Public Authority's website, the following is the general rule for the same:

Following is the general guideline for applicable RTI Rules for fees and format:

If you wish to file a RTI application on a STATE Govt. subject then the particular State Govt. RTI rules for fees & format shall apply,
    Whereas, if you wish to file a RTI application on a CENTRAL Govt. subject then the Central Govt. RTI rules for fees & format shall apply.

For example Police, Municipality, Health, internal roads of a State etc. are State Govt. subjects, whereas Passport, Income Tax, Railways etc. are Central Govt. subjects.

So the fees and format of RTI application depends upon whether you wish to seek information on a State Govt. subject or Central Govt. subject.

Hello,
    4. Is there any limitation of number of questions that can be asked under RTI act ?
    Some State Govt's and Central Govt. RTI Rules have prescribed limits on number of words for seeking information through a RTI application. So it all depends upon the 'subject' on which you are seeking information.

But as a general rule please make your RTI application brief, precise and point-wise, avoid seeking why, what, questioning etc. and point towards the documents available with the Public Authority.

To learn more, kindly read the blog on the following link:

Drafting queries for seeking information
    "If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people." -- Confucius

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android