Thread: Re: Postal Banking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Postal banking

Can General Post Office participate in clearing house activities ? Is the postal banking is legal one .

Do request members feedback

Avinash

› Find content similar to: Re: Postal Banking

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Re: Postal banking

Yes. post offices are participating in bankers' clearing house as they comply with RBI rules for clearing house membership. It is a good service for users of banking services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Post office as participatory for clearing house

Dear Members.

Please understand, Post office & Post office saving bank are two different identity.

Post office saving bank are authorised participatory in local clearing house as per RBI guide lines.

But Post office can not be participatory of clearing house by any regulation & it is illegal.

Post offices acting as if they are bankers but this is not so. This is absolutely illegal. There is no such legal circular. And i have proof for this replied by RBI.

Very few people know the difference between Post office & Postal Banking. Hence people believe in good faith in Post office.

Thanks

Avinash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I could not understand as to how this discussion is relevant here in this website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Because one of my friend got the reply from RBI , under right to information.

This is wrong on the part of Post office to participate in the clearing house on behalf of customer.

Tomorrow anything goes wrong such as cheque lost, then who would be respoisible. All related banks are raising the hands on this matter , hence my friend approched RBI. And the alarming answer by RBI is Post ofice can not participate in clearing house which is serious i feel.

I thought it would be useful to members of this group.

If not useful , then i will stop.

Thanks

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vashisthvivek View Post
    I could not understand as to how this discussion is relevant here in this website
    Dear vashisthvivek, this discussion has appeared under "Ask for Social Help" section of the lounge, which has been created only to deal with matters other than RTI

Quote Originally Posted by amraykar View Post
    Can General Post Office participate in clearing house activities ? Is the postal banking is legal one .

Dear Avinash, It puzzles me as to why you raised the questions first and then posted the answers yourself subsequently. Any way thanks for sharing the information. If possible please post the reply given by RBI verbatim, for the knowledge of all of us.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

yes, kindly do post the information you have from the RBI.

Post Office is a part of Government and Postal Saving bank is an agency function on behalf of the Ministry of Finance. I am not sure how had you differentiated Post Office with Postal bank? It is only in reference to Post Office Saving bank, does the Post Office issues cheques and the cheques issued by the Post Office are non other than that of the Government of India.

Department of Posts (Post Offices), Ministry of Communications and IT, Government of India has been member of clearing house from time immortal. However, on some cases where there are some operational issues, especially in rural towns, the Post Office have only sub clearing house and the transaction is accorded in such cases through State Bank of India.

Tomorrow anything goes wrong such as cheque lost, then who would be respoisible.
    If you trust that your Government is responsible, than you must by now understand that for each of Post Office cheque, Government of India is responsible. Let me also tell you; the cheque of the Post Office (Govt. of India) carries as sanctity as that of a currency note issued by RBI.
    Post offices acting as if they are bankers but this is not so.
    yes, in a way you are right, post Office is not a retail bank. When it collect money, it is not in any bank you are depositing the money, but with Government of India. Also the Post Office do not give loans and therefore there are no risk attributable of it being liquidated. Also no banking regulation decide the rate of interest, it is the parliament which decide the rate of interest. This way Post Office only work as an agency to Ministry of Finance, and charges only operational cost from the Ministry of Finance. This way Post Office do not run in Profit-loss model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dear ganpat
    Thanks for the clarification. Although, I had registered much earlier with the RTI India, but I was unlucky enough not to have used this site for a long time. I recently became the active user, so many times may ask silly questions. Sorry to all.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android